42| The Butterfly

Riley waits patiently in front of the blue painted, wooden, door after knocking twice.

She shifts her weight back and forth between her feet, surprisingly finding herself feeling more nervous about meeting this person than what she just did with Arlo and Lain.

Eventually, Riley's bubbling nerves are put on ice when the door creaks open, the chain catching as it extends to it's max limit.

"Who is it?"

"It's me Amber." Riley replies, keeping her eyes trained on the door as Amber peeks her piercing blue eyes through the tiny gap.

"What are you doing here? Did something happen?"

"I came to apologize, for everything I've done to you...for hurting you, for sleeping with Arlo, for literally just telling him to break up with you."

"Oh." Amber hums, taking a step back from the door, not really sure what to do with herself.

Riley pinches her eyes closed, flexing and clenching her fingers as she clumsily let's her mouth run a hundred miles per hour. "Actually, I stand by that last one, it's the right thing to do, even if you hate me more for it."

"Okay."

When the door closes on Riley's face she is hardly surprised, knowing that if the roles were reversed she'd probably do the same too.

She sighs, getting ready to head back to when she hears the chain rattle.

"Where do you think you're going?" she calls.

Riley breathes a sigh of relief, giggling nervously as she walks back. "Oh, I though you were done with me."

"You helped save my life yesterday, the least I can do is hear you out."

Riley shakes her head. "You really don't owe me anything. Asanti and Amara were the ones who did the heavy lifting."

Amber looks back into the dorm room that doesn't belong to her, her eyes landing on the bottle peaking out of the sink. "It's either I talk to you or drink...and I'm really trying not to so...I just need someone to talk to, y'know. Someone who isn't a professor or administrator or cop."

"Well, lucky for you I'm great at talking...listening, not so much, but I can always work on that."

Amber smiles kindly at Riley's words, moving aside so that they can move the conversation inside. "I think I can work with that."