38| The Emergence

Kaizen, Riley, Amara, Asanti and Arlo go to the store to buy emergency supplies after the dog attack, if you could even call it that.

And to make matters worse, somehow, in all the Chaos that pursued, the Pug from Tartarus escaped with Lance's chickens wing along with their egos and dignity of the collective group in tow.

The targeted attack had become a mass casualty event and one that none of them would forget any time soon.

"I'm not sure you got it all out of my hair." Kaizen utters, swiping the wet wipe from Arlo who he had inspect the area the first two times.

"Ask me to do it again. See what happens to you."

"Why are you acting like you were the one that got hurt? I was run down by a pissed off athletic bulldozer!"

"And my clothes are soaking wet." Arlo counters, swiping two bags of spicy Cheetos into the basket.

"You didn't seem to mind when you were in the pool." Asanti points out, catching a light slap to the stomach from Riley.

"Think we got everything?" Arlo asks, showing Riley the contents of the bag.

"Yep, let's head to check out."

In the line Kaizen pulls out his credit card but Arlo tells him to put it away. "I got it, don't worry."

Whilst waiting for the others to bag everything, Arlo gets a call from Amber, struggling to understand her as she start frantically rambling at him down the phone.

"Anyone see where Arlo went?" Riley inquiries, noticing his absence when the cashier hands her his card.

Asanti shrugs his shoulders, popping the raspberry flavoured lollipop out of his mouth. "He was just here a second ago."

"I think I saw him go outside." Kaizen replies, dropping the final bag in the trolley and discarding the basket they picked up.

"Oh...okay."

Riley slips his card Kaizen's pocket since she doesn't have any of her own, assuming that everything will be fine once they leave the store to go back to the picnic.

However, once she catches sight of Arlo pacing back and forth in front of the store, she takes it back faster than the drop of a hat.

"Okay, keep the door locked. See if you can grab the cabinet and push it up against the door. No stay on the phone, stay-" Arlo growls in frustration, banging the side of his fist against Kai's car when Amber hangs up. "Fuck."

"Dude, that's my car."

Arlo doesn't seem to care, gripping his phone with bear like strength. "We have to go, right now!"

Riley places a hand on his shoulder, pulling him away from anything he could directly punch. "Okay, we want to help you, but we need to know what's happening first. Was that Amber?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, what's wrong? Is she okay?"

"No." Arlo huffs, running his hand down his face. "No, she's not fucking okay! Her dad went on a bender, started tweaking out and is threatening to stab her to death!"

"Where is she now?" Kaizen asks, quickly forgetting about his car.

"At home. He has her cornered in her bathroom. I told her to try and block the door but then the call cut out." Fresh tears of rage spring to Arlo's eyes as he pulls at his hair. "This is all my fault!"

Kaizen unlocks his car door, clasping his hands calmly together. "Okay, this is what we're going to do, Asanti, get the shopping in the car."

"I'm on it."