twenty one

this is the other chapter that wattpad deleted unfortunately :(

~~

Betty has forwent Hermione and the other's invitations to their hasty and chaotic party they had decided to throw at the last possible minute.

She had separated from the huddle of giddy and swaying Gryffindors as they passed the other hallway to arrive at their common room, clamouring on about their parties - unbeknownst to the prying portraits listening.

Neville, who had been one of the most persuasive, was disappointed to say the least, that Betty had chosen not to join their party, as she was usually quite supportive of the tame parties her friends host.

He had also wondered about Luna, who had disappeared mid-ball - same as Betty did - with the exception that she never came back. Neville had lamented about the fact that Luna had went off naively with a leggy Slytherin boy, whom Neville did not recognise, and he was feeling quite skeptical about the boy's intentions.

To ease of the boy's worries, Betty had assured him, saying that Luna was an intelligent girl who knew how to pick out a right apple from a carton of rotten ones.

Ron, on the other hand, throughout this ordeal, had been in agony trying to pick up the missing pieces in his legion of memories. He was certain he was sober, but could not figure out, for the life of him, how he had ended up outside of the Great Hall with Betty, when he never remembered leaving the hall or the table with Hermione.

Knowingly, Betty had sat by the table, watching as the boy racked his brains.

--

Now, staring dreadfully at the clocktower, as the minute hand nears the hour hand, pointing to the eminent number two, Betty couldn't stop feeling her legs tremble.

She has freed herself from her hefty gown despite the fact that she had almost broke the zipper in that vigorous, impatient action, and she is currently dressed in one of her favourite cardigans as well as a silk pyjama pant.

The clock chimes, almost makes her fall out of her seat against the windowsill when she has been staring at it aimlessly for the past painful minutes.

Malfoy is nowhere to be seen.

Betty has never thought of herself as a gullible person, but that notion might have changed today.

Never in a million years, would she find herself waiting expectantly for Malfoy in the sanctuary of her common room, holding her side of the promise the pair had made a while ago, nor be finding herself making a promise with Malfoy.

Resting her chin on the fissure of the stone walls, she gazes out at the clocktower that is engulfed by the fogginess of the darkness.

A strike to the right, and the apprehension is rising like a high tide as her body is rooted to the carpet.

A strike to the right, and Betty is burying her face into the velvety couch, nagging at herself internally.

A strike to the right, and Betty is discouraged and standing to return to the sleeping dormitory.

A strike to the right, and a raven black owl is hooting shrilly at her from the unbolted window.

She turns, confused, at what an owl could be doing, loitering outside of the Ravenclaw Tower in the dead of the night when all owls in the owlery should be fast asleep in a latched tower.

A scarlet jewellery box is securely tied to the thin legs of the owl, catching her brown eyes as she steps closer for a look.

It is probably not the wisest choice, picking the box away from a suspicious, lonely owl while the school is mostly filled with eerie quietness, but she does it anyway, patting the owl's feathers as she does so.