The Truth

3 AM

Slim

I couldn't sleep, I laid in bed with Layla. She was asleep with her head peacefully resting on my chest, I caressed her hair thinking about our future. She was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but i knew i was going to have to tell her who i really was. My life before her, i wasn't proud I did what i thought i had to do to survive. My phone vibrated, as the screen lit up pulling me from my thoughts. 

I gently slid Layla off of me, as I climbed out the bed and threw on some sweat pants

I gently slid Layla off of me, as I climbed out the bed and threw on some sweat pants. What could this motherfucker want at three am? What ever the fuck it was couldn't be good and was guaranteed to piss me off; i stopped by my office and grabbed my forty-five. If he fucked up again, it was going to be the last time; I am sick and tired of cleaning up his messes. I walked to my back porch, i could see Dex sitting down on the built in bench on my deck rolling up. Fuck. 

"What the fuck did you do." I blatantly asked him, closing the door behind me as I stepped on to the back deck. He looked up at me as he lit the blunt, I stared at him waiting for an answer. He took a long drag on the blunt and passed it to me. 

"Carmen has gotta go." He looked up at me, running his hand over the top of his head. "That bitch is going to get us fucking killed Slim." I didn't disagree but i could tell he knew something i didn't. 

"Why is that? What you know that i don't, huh?" My voice echoed slightly, as my body stiffened. I hated disloyalty, and i will end the shit quick if i think I'm being played.

"Well for one you ain't tell me your "fiance's" dad was a fucking FED. Lets start there! Hmm?" I could tell Dex was pissed, but i was just as shocked as he was. 

"I ain't know that shit. if you think I knew that shit i wouldn't be fucking her." I passed the blunt back to him as I walked over to the table  and sat down. He followed suit. 

"Then you know what you gotta do then. End it and end it now. Cause she gets too close and we are BOTH going down. Then you'll have to worry about Jack killing your ass so you don't talk." Dex looked at me and i could see the fear in his eyes. 

"What are you talking about?" I was confused on why this was all coming up. 

"Jack's spot wasn't robbed. Slim it was the fucking feds, Carmen knew they were moving everything because Jack has been under investigation for months now. She fled town because she tipped them off, and the lead D.A. on the case is Layla's father. What the fuck you think he gonna do when he finds that out?" Dex was right, my mind started racing. How could i tell her anything with her being so close to someone who could bring down everything i worked so hard to build. Dex had already rolled up again and was lighting the blunt. 

"Can i hit it?" A small voice caught our attention, Layla was standing behind us. I looked her up and down, she had thrown on one of my t-shirts and a pair of my socks. She looked so cozy and adorable. I looked over at Dex, he looked at her and went to hand her the blunt.