54.4) Side Story 4 - Queen of Spades [4]

Content Warning: This chapter contains depictions of self-mutilation and graphic violence.

"On the final day of Exhibitions, only the Queen of Hearts remained. As the sun set, I had wished to challenge her. But before I could arrive at the venue, her game was taken down. I often wonder who were the iron souls who beat her. I had watched that venue for some time; many would go in large groups, all to fall victim to whatever trial was inside. I even once heard gunshots—after all, weapons were allowed."

===Gabura Sachi===

Current standings:
C: 89/100
P: 374/600
==
Niko: 125
Aoyama: 100
Gabura: 82
Hanako: 56
__
Wakai: 151 X
Fukioya: 122 X

Every inch of my body screamed. My vision phased between various slides of what was in front of me, and my head was light.

My stance didn't last long. I crumbled to the floor again, wincing. This time, I could only lift myself until I was on my knees and hands; my arms quivered.

"Giving up?" She asked.

"N...No." I murmured.

"Good." She looked me in my eyes, not as if I was her enemy, but as if I were her pupil. "You have all come the farthest. Most of the other groups took themselves out. They tried cutting off too much, or thought they could take more than they could. You have been patient. Unfortunately, though, you've all been too conservative."

Aoyama still continued to struggle from her duct tape bounds, and Maksu sighed, walking over to one of the tables and tearing the tablecloth into a long stretch of fabric. She tied it around Aoyama's wrists, then ripped off the duct tape. "This will be more secure. My time as a spy has taught me the best of the best knot-tying techniques. But also, I feel bad for confining you so much. This will give you space to move around a bit and use your hands, so you can still accrue points."

The pocket knife was still on the floor. She grabbed it, then headed over to the DJ booth, turning off the intense music. Finally, she brought the tip of the blade towards her collarbone, and dug it in. Blood spurted outewards, staining her ragged tunic. The points crept upwards, as she entered the nineties.

"No!" Aoyama shouted, writhing from her wrist's constraints. "We can still have a shot!" She slammed her head into the light multiple times until blood drew, then slammed her body into the edge of the counter, taking full advantage of the increased room she had.

"Aoyama!" I shouted.

Niko's voice was strained as he brought his ring finger to his mouth, biting down. He screamed, the echo diffusing through his closed mouth, as Aoyama threw herself against the counter, kicking her shins against the sharp edge of the tabletop, her movements still constricted from her arm's bounds.

Hanako crawled towards a cleaver, gasping with each inch she progressed, then raising it after she obtained it.

She brought it down on her extended index and middle finger on her left hand. Blood burst from her hand and she wailed, rolling onto her back, clutching the amputation site. Niko groaned as he opened his mouth, spitting out his ring finger and a puddle of blood. A crack sounded from Aoyama after another one of her slams from the counter; one of her ribs broke. Her head was bleeding, drowning her face and shirt in a shower of red.

And our points rose–but not enough. Hanako gave us a huge burst, but now we were just surpassing 440.

"Stop it, guys!" Niko coughed out. "It won't be enough. We can't catch up.!" He looked up, his eyes wide. Hanako paused, our collective heavy breathing the only noise in the room.