4. May - Two Years Ago

It was a rare thing for Sophia to have a Saturday morning she neither had to work nor was completely exhausted from coming off of a twelve-hour shift. So she made the best of the day, packing in everything that she wished she had the schedule for on a regular basis.

Which is how she found herself only moments after completing a three-mile run along the beach, ordering the biggest Java Chip Frappuccino that Starbucks offered, complete with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. And a breakfast sandwich. But only for the practicality of the protein. Sugar was always her first priority.

Sophia mindlessly scrolled through her phone as she waited for her breakfast, her body already starting to get a little sore, but her spirits were high thanks to the endorphins she had surging through her at the moment.

She paused at an Instagram photo of her best friend, Raina, at the end of Santa Monica pier. The caption read: 'Hopefully I won't fall over the edge.'

Sophia snorted. To anyone else, it would just be a cheesy remark about the ocean, and honestly, not really make that much sense. But Raina had been one of the first to hear about Sophia's ocean dive and had proceeded to tease her mercilessly about it ever since.

It had been two weeks since the incident, and there were times looking back at it when Sophia wondered if it actually happened. With the exception of during her job, she really wasn't the type to make snap decisions. She was the type to weigh the consequences of her actions, not leap right into danger.

"Venti Java Chip Frappuccino with whip and a breakfast sandwich for Sophia."

Sophia looked up at the sound of the Starbucks barista calling her name. She grabbed her food, gave the overworked employees a nod of thanks, and turned toward the door.

"Do me a favor, if you're going back to the pier right now, try to keep your feet on solid ground."

Sophia didn't know how the voice cut through both the general murmur of the coffee shop and her rock workout music, but it did. She spun around, knowing who she was about to see but gaping at him all the same when he came into view.

Dean's words had been bitchy, but the corner of his mouth quirked up, sending very mixed signals. He sat by himself at a table in the back corner, away from the caffeine-deprived crowd.

"Damn, well there goes my late morning plans," Sophia replied drily. Her previous encounter with the firefighter had been less than ideal, and if he was trying to start an argument, there was no way she was going to let him off scot-free.

He eyed her as she approached, a book and a cup almost as large as Sophia's sitting in front of him.

"I just don't want to have to jump in and rescue you, again."

Sophia scoffed. "You didn't have to do anything," she bit back. "I had it handled."

"Honestly, I have no doubt."

It was only at this point did Sophia realize Dean was messing with her, and she narrowed her eyes at him. "And as you can see, I didn't drown, in the ocean or out of it."

"I'm glad." He met her gaze evenly. Then, "Do you want to sit?"

Sophia blinked in surprise. After their last meeting, she had assumed the firefighter thought her nothing more than a reckless civilian putting herself in harm's way. But he was much more amicable right now, and Sophia had to admit, she was curious about what he might have to say.