Chapter 7

[IAN FISCHER]

I've been to Lake Iaz way too many times to count. A lot of people I know have even made up a joke that I was "born at Lake Iaz" because I've been there so many times. I'd probably say that Iaz is one of the more popular lakes on Insula; need I add that lakes aren't essentially popular to begin with. Freshwater fishing is a thing for suckers on Insula. Since most of the people who live on Insula are practically fishing pros, freshwater fishing isn't really a challenge for them or as fun as saltwater fishing. To be a hundred percent honest, the only people on Insula who really even do go freshwater fishing are children and trainees. Needless to say, trainees on Insula are very rare these days, but when they do come to the island, they at least want something to do with water. Matter-of-fact, most people move to Insula for their love of water.

I guess, this brings the topic back to Scott Voorhees. As I said earlier and I'll continue to say, he's a strange kid. Apparently he's American, but he's got the physical features of an Irish and the heavy accent of someone British. It's unlike anything I've ever seen! However, the weirdest thing about him, which I'm sure is already obvious, is the fact that he's scared of water! That's crazy!

Nevertheless I can still tell he's a nice kid. A bit on the shy side, but more or less easygoing when he feels comfortable with the people. This is easiest to tell since he's already hit it off with Walker and me. Just this morning, he was giving one word answers. Since we saved him from a bully, he's now more open to us, and now he's even going fishing with us! Isn't that wild?!

So as I was saying about Lake Iaz, I'm no stranger to it. That's why when we pull up to it and unload Walker's old hunk-o'-junk minivan-thing, I breathe in the familiar air. It's a moist air I know all too well, and love all too well. While it's true I've been here a billion times, I haven't been here in a while. I usually go fishing with Walker, and he hates freshwater fishing with a passion. Since I usually do what he says, about 99.9% of our fishing trips are done in the Pacific Ocean. To be completely honest, the fact that Walker even agreed to take Scott down to Lake Iaz is a huge surprise to me. I guess he really cares for the little guy.

Walker directs us over to a small dock that's protected by railings on all three sides. It would take an intentional jump to fall over the railings and into the water. No fish, regardless of size, could drag you into it over the railings. They're five feet high and Scott can barely see over them as it is.

"All right, Scotty!" Walker says with a clap. "First, we're going to teach you the basics of your rod! After all, just like bicycling, you can't get on and go if you don't know what you're dealing with!"

Scott looks slightly disturbed by Walker's horrible analogy and the fact that he just called him "Scotty." It's obvious he puts it aside though, because within a second he focuses back in on Walker as the demonstration begins.

"As you may or may not already know, this is your rod!" Walker says with a grin as he holds up a rod. The rod has no line attached to it, and the reel is unset.

"Oh, I see," Scott replies with a nod. His eyes demonstrate understanding, but the rest of his face says "Oh really?" in the most sarcastic tone possible.

"Now this part is where things will start to pick up. This part right here is the handle, this is the reel seat, and this is the reel!"

Walker points to the bottom of the fishing rod as well as the reel and the base beneath it.

"The reel is what you use to pull your fish in. It's identifiable by the handled-spinning-thingy, as Ian used to call it!"

I give Walker an evil glare.