Chapter 14

[WALKER MURPHY]

If I had a penny for every time I've asked myself what the heck just happened, I'd probably have enough to buy a rod like Scott's. As every second passes by, I just get even more confused. I mean like, WHAT?! It just happened out of nowhere! Sad little shy little Scott just jumped up and went to talk to Matthew Cayuk! What's more is that he brought him over here! To come fishing!

"Walker, I take it your boat has enough room for four people?" Scott asks.

WHAT?! Just two weeks ago he wouldn't even step foot in the boat and now he's gonna try and be the captain or something?! What is going on?

"Uh, yeah. I suppose we could fit a fourth person in," I reply nervously. I try with all of my emotional strength to not look at Matthew Cayuk or acknowledge his existence.

"Great. Matt's gonna come fishing with us," Scott answers.

WHAT?! WHAT WHAT WHAT?! He just called him Matt! Matt! This kid tried to beat him up multiple times and push him into the water! Why is he referring to him so casually and friendly?

I look over to Ian to see if he's as confused as I am. His face does show signs of uncertainty, but it's nothing like mine. It's almost as if he's completely fine with this, like he's suddenly putting the past ten years behind him. We could never even walk within two feet of this kid and now we're going to go fishing! Again, what is going on?

Without making eye contact or acknowledgement of any sort, I expeditiously glance over at his body. I notice that he's holding his own fishing rod. To be honest, it's absolute crap. It looks like a stick with string tied to it. Needless to say that's an exaggeration, but it really is bad quality. The bobber attached is used and abused, and I don't even see how he attaches a hook to it. For reasons unknown and likely best unknown, I feel a bit sorry for him. I've never actually considered his financial situation. I've seen his house plenty of times before, but only now do I notice the lack of size and beauty.

Without even saying a word to Cayuk, the four of us climb into the boat. Scott doesn't even look scared. It's only a matter of time before the boat rocks too hard and a wave splashes up into the boat. When that happens, Scott's new-found confidence will fracture and it'll be Aquaphobia all over again.

I notice that Scott sits in the same middle seat as he did last time. Half-expecting him to step up and take the captain's spot, I stare at him silently and awkwardly. He stares back before smiling and speaking up.

"Aren't you going to take your seat, Captain Murphy?"

I smile and take to my seat. At this point, I realize there's no point in fighting it. The fact that Matthew Cayuk even agreed to come with us means something inside of him is changing. Why should I fight, too? What if I was able to restore our friendship through a mutual positive attitude? I'm sure treating him kindly would encourage him. After all, I was practically born next to him. I know him too well. Maybe it's finally time to put the past behind us.

I smile even larger than before. I grab my oars and take a seat at the front of the boat.

"All right, Murphy's Men! We've got a new deck-boy on board. I think we need to teach him how to row!" I tease.

"I'm not an idiot! I know how to row a boat!" Matthew claims angrily. Once he notices everybody is staring at him, he looks down at his feet and gets embarrassed.

I laugh to myself. I'm not going to let him get me angry.

"Very well then! Let's move out! All hands to port!" I shout as I try not to laugh.

"Uhm, Captain?" Ian asks, obviously trying to play along.

"What be the problem, cabin-boy Fischer?"