Trapped in A Cage of Misery

The giants stormed into their abode, their footsteps echoing throughout the empty halls.

Winston watched and studied the castle. Mapping out an escape route as the giants took him into a room. The room was full of tiny creatures, creatures he has seen in both peaceful times and wars.

Winston flew back into a cage and was met with a face scarier then ever.

"You'll be safe here little guy." The giant smiled and walked away with their friends.

Winston looked around hurriedly, trying to find an escape.

"It's no use." A raspy voice spoke, "The last one tried to escape. They crushed him and turned him into their meal."

"I'll find a way. I've familiar with prisons and there hasn't been one to beat me yet." Winston cheered, "I will defeat these tyrants and set you all free."

"Good luck." A feminine voice called from above him, "You'll need it, Pinecone."

The tone used with his species was one he wasn't unfamiliar with. Very often used by the Acorn civilization. The Pinecones and Acorns are constantly switching between peace and war.

"Your an Acorn? No wonder you were captured." Winston scoffed, he fought against many Acorns and not one he need show mercy to.

"You were captured as well. And my name is Jaime." The Acorn retaliated.

"I came willingly. You were bested." Winston mentioned and then fiddled with a bar in his cage.

"Says who?"

"Says everyone who ever met an Acorn."

"You- how dare you!"

"Both of you stop fighting! For the sake of the trees please. It's already bad enough we are all doomed, we don't need to be deaf as well with your bickering!" A wise voice spoke, Winston recognized it almost immediately.

"Pierre the Chestnut? Is that you?" Winston called out to the voice.

"Yes, Winston, now please. Let me rest while I can..."

"Pierre- what happened? You were an undefeated warrior! Are the other Chesnut's okay? What of your village?" Winston questioned his old friend.

"You were undefeated as well, but every warrior is defeated once and again. I have no clue for the others, but as far as my village goes...it is long gone by now."

"I see, I'm sorry. You loved your people like your children."

"I assume the same for your village, my regards."

"None are needed. My village was only scratched. I will return and help rebuild after I vanquish the beasts."

"Well then, I wish you the blessing of the great trees and the best of four leafed clovers." Pierre grasped his cage bars and looked to the walls, "I hope you make it out of here."

"I hope the same for you Pierre."

Winston sat back in his prison, leaning his head against the bars. He sighed, it was true that his task will be hard. He had to do this. He had to get back to his village. He has to save his village.  It was then when he came up with a plan. It would take persuasion and wit, but Winston knew that this was his only chance.

He waited. And waited. And waited. Winston's attention was shifted by the clicking and clanking sounds of the door being opened. He watched as a single giant walked in. One he hadn't seen before.

"You are a cute one!" The giant smiled at Winston, who was anything but cute.

"I'm not cute, beast." He responded sinisterly.

"Oh? Is that so? Tell me, Pinecone. Explain how you are not cute."

"I am a warrior that bears many scars, I am stubborn and will pick fights when necessary."

"Still cute." The giant giggled, "How about some food, tiny one?"

Perfect. Now was his chance to escape. He watched as the hand reached in and ran past his captor. He landed swiftly on the floor, wobbling a bit from the impact. He sprinted out the open door and down the halls. No one noticed him, but he noticed them.

There were many creatures and beings he never saw before.

"Catch that Pinecone!!" His captor screamed from the end of the hallway.

Everyone's face around him turned to look at him. Winston panicked and ran into the nearest room. He turned left and found a strangely normal sized door to him. He cautiously walked in and looked around. He then remember why he was there. Winston spun around and launched backwards as he was startled by an eye covering the door.

"I found the little guy!" Echoed throughout the room, "He is in the mouse hole!"

Winston was stunned. The mice colony was one to be feared. If he was in their territory, that would be the end.

"What art thou doing 'ere?" A raspy voice spoke, "I 'ever seen a Pinecone travel to these parts, what brings thou 'ere?"

"U- uh...Th- they captured me and I- I escaped..." Winston gulped and took a breath, "I ran in here in a panic..."

"Oi, fellas, we got a runaway!" The mouse chuckled and Winston heard at least 3 more voices of laughter, "So thee, a puny Pinecone, escaped thy giants?"

"I'll- ill have you know I'm a great Pinecone warrior! Fought in the pinecone wars too!"

"Thou dare come in my home and raise thou voice?!" The mouse' voice rose and became scarier to Winston.

"I-"

"Out with thou! Or face thy mice wrath!"

Winston hurried and ran out the door, hoping that no giants lie out there. He scurried across the floor and scanned for an exit. Each door was shut tight, without a rope or grapple, Winston was trapped.

"Hey...over here..." A quiet and quite convenient voice spoke from the shadows.

Winston whirled around, looking for the source of the sound. His eyes soon locked in a shadowing figure that resembled a bank vole.

Winston question if he should trust the rodent. The bank vole are known for their hunger and feeding on Pinecone travelers.