Chapter 42

Pandora

His face was clouded in disbelief, but he nodded and extended his hand. Taking it, I met his gaze.

He smiled, "Thanks. I'm Sid, and she's Mary," he said, pointing to the quiet girl.

She looked up with a small nod. I returned it.

"Pandora, but my friends call me, P."

"I'll never shorten your name unless I have to, Pandora. You saved us, and you'll always have my gratitude. We have choices now, and it's all because of you."

"I'm sorry I got you all riled up with no follow-through," I said.

"You got me out of that cage."

"We got each other out of those cages."

Mary walked up, "Ple—please come with us. We don't have to fight. I heard the freelands are free again. I—I think we all could live well together," she whispered.

"They're not, unfortunately, thanks to me," I laughed nervously, "I'm heading south. I hear the beaches are nice."

Mary's eyes lit up, "With sand and water as far as the eye can see?"

"That's the place."

Mary looked to Sid, who looked back at me.

"I could use the company."

He scratched the back of his neck and chuckled, "Why not? At least we'll be there when you decide to join the fight again."

"You all could be waiting a while," I said, keeping pace.

"Maybe our children will continue the good fight then," he whispered.

I glanced at him, but he was focused on our surroundings. I hoped he meant something else. Imagining myself with anyone else right now was out of this world. He was cute, fit body for an imprisoned person, beard, and that fire that drives me wild. I couldn't help it, but my mind went to Abel first, our restless nights in that quiet house. Then Owen, with his caring nature. Ares' wicked, playful nature, Casimir's surprising affection, then Cairo.

Cario? Well, from what I saw, if he weren't so worried about pleasing his father or an asshole, he wouldn't be so bad. He was strong, compassionate, and considerate. Any other forsaken man would've taken the chance when I was incapacitated and had their way. There was more to him, all of them, but I didn't have the time to figure it out. Not under those conditions.

"If we're unlucky," I said, "I hope everything will be resolved before mine open their eyes."

"There's only one way to make sure that happens," he said.

I sighed, "You're going to keep this up, aren't you?"

"Every single day until you come to your senses," he smiled, "Is it too late to tell you that I don't have any survival skills except for brawling?"

"Brawling will come in handy. I can teach everyone how to hunt, forage, and build shelters," I said.

"I can cook," Mary said, coming up to Sid's side.

"That's a relief. Vicky cooks the best—"

My heart collapsed on itself. The sounds of the night filled the gap. As the wind blew, my head felt lighter and clearer. Just in time, the border was coming into view. It would be easier to blink everyone over at once, but I've never done it before. The last thing I need is something to go wrong. A few from our group scouted ahead. The three men returned after some time.

"There's a checkpoint with Forsaken warriors. How are we crossing," the man said.

He pulled his blue hood lower, covering his eyes. That was a good question. Five of them, and I can only make two trips on three jumps. After the third, someone would have to carry me, and I might even need a doctor.

"You hear that," Sid asked.

I strained my ears and could hear a faint gurgling. Following the sound led us to a stream that floated right through. An idea struck me like lightning.

"Mary, can you collect some small branches and leaves?"

She nodded and went off searching; I started to rub myself down with mud and dirt. The others did the same.

"We'll disguise ourselves as debris and float past them," I said.

"Can't you teleport like the others? Just do that," blue hood said.

"I haven't mastered it yet. Three people would have to stay behind."

"Let's draw straws," he said.

"I'm not leaving anyone behind."

"We've already left thousands behind. What's three more," he said.

Thousands. Thousands I said I would set free. I left without a second thought to anyone. My stomach started to turn.

"Drop it," Sid said, throwing mud at him.

Blue hood glared, "Damn, ready to fuck her to stay alive? I don't think that'll work twice. Don't you favor cocks anyway?"

Sid rose to his feet. As his fist went into the air, Mary jumped in front of him. She held up the collected items with pleading eyes.

"We're sticking to the plan if you don't like it. You're free to go your own way," I said.

Blue hood grumbled and went back to attaching debris to himself. Once everyone looked horrible, it was time to get in the water. Blue hood and his two buddies got in first and floated along with the current.

Mary stood at the edge with wide eyes, "How do you float?"

I froze. Why didn't she mention this sooner? She could panic out there and draw attention to all of us.

"Don't worry, I got you," Sid smiled, going off into the brush.

Sid found a decent size log he pulled in. It bobbed in the water and would make a suitable floatation device for her. The three of us clung to it and let the water drag our bodies around the bend. We kept our heads low as voices broke the rhythmic sound of crashing water. Vehicles roared, and feet stomped nearby.

It was actually working, I smiled. We were almost past the checkpoint when our log pushed through red-colored water. Looking ahead, on the bank was a face-down body wearing a hood.

"Spread out and check everything coming downstream," a horned male yelled.