Chapter 2

After having a dreamless night, I looked out of Dandy's window.  the sun was up, and it was almost time for school to begin.  

"Lo, do you want to go to your house?" Dandy asked me.  

"yeah, the police are gone, and so is dad." 

"again, I am really sorry about what happened to your dad."

"that's alright.  he finally went too far.  he is gone, but will be back, and I will be ready, I hope." all that she did to respond was smile, and then I went back to my house.  

"Lo, are you alright?" Mother asked me.  

"yeah, I'm fine.  I stayed the night at Dandy's." 

"good.  I hate it when your father gets angry." 

"mother, I am going to school now.  good day." 

"see you later!" 

"bye." and with that, I went out the door.  when I caught up with Sazel, we then began talking.  

"Sazel, how are your parents?"

"not very well.  they are both still in the hospital, and I don't even know if they will ever wake up." 

"oh, I see." 

"so how are things at your house?" 

"well, my father got taken away after I called the police on him." 

"are you okay?" 

"yeah." after that, we walked in silence for a while.  once we reached the corner, Caper was waiting.  today, Sazel was wearing a white shirt and black pants, his blue eyes and blonde hair the oddest combination for any of the students at our school.  Caper's glasses were about to fall off, he could barely keep his gray eyes open, and his light orange hair was not brushed; he had been in a hurry.  as usual, he was wearing his green jacket to try and cover up his wings, since they weren't really normal enough for everyone else at school.  as we passed by him, I yanked off the jacket, since today it was just resting on his shoulders.  

"hey!" he shouted, while chasing me and Sazel around.  

"what?!  you look fine.  do you ever see me covering up my horns?"

"but horns are normal." 

"yeah, well not red ones!" 

"I guess your right.  well then, could I at least put it in my backpack?" 

"fine, that is, if you want it taking up your fucking space," I said, handing it to him.  

"why the hell do you have to curse so much?!" he said, shoving it into his backpack.  

"it's just naturally how I talk to people." I grinned.  

"anyways, the bell already rang.  we should head inside," Sazel said.  we only nodded in response, then all running inside together.  after Sazel had gone to their class, Caper and I reached ours, sitting down.  

after the lesson, we began working on the assignment.  while I was writing, something black dripped from my face.  I raised my hand without looking up.  

"yes, Loralie?" Ms. Hubble asked.  all I did was put my hand down, and she knew to come over.  

"are you alright?" she asked me.  then, I slowly turned my head in her direction, which must have disturbed her, since she could now see my eye.  

"Is there something wrong with my eye?" I asked her.  

"well, your right eye is black and is dripping.  why don't you go up to the nurse's office?"