Three

Winters Coming
(Pocahontas POV)

(2 weeks later)

Pocahontas is currently in the cornfield, working with her friend, Nakoma, collecting food for the winter. Soon, the snow would begin to fall, and everything would start to freeze. She sighed as she remembered sneaking out here to go with John smith.

Everything went down from here. She would follow John even when Nakoma didn't want her to, and Nakoma, who cared deeply for her friend, would go to Kocoum. Kocoum would go after Pocahontas, would find them kissing, and would go to attack John. Thomas, who was looking for John, would appear right when Kocoum and John were fighting, and would shoot Kocoum to protect his friend from getting killed.

John would make his friend leave, taking the blame for him. This would be the first thing to trigger the war, and John would be taken, prisoner.

"I am very sorry for not trusting you Pocahontas. Maybe if I would have listened, none of this would have happened and Kocoum and John would still be here." Nakoma hugged Pocahontas then, and Pocahontas has to hold back her tears. The last two weeks have been hard for Pocahontas.

When they separate, she smiles at her friend. "You have nothing to apologize for. You didn't know anything different, and you did what you thought was right. If roles were reversed, and you were running off, I would ask for help as well. You didn't know that Kocoum would attack and James would be there."

Nakoma takes Pocahontas's hands in her and smiles. "Come on," Pocahontas says. "Let's get the rest of this corn picked so we can head back. My father said her wanted to talk with me about something when I am done."

Nakoma nods as they begin to work again. Around an hour later, Pocahontas and Nakoma were done with their work and began walking back to camp. Once back, Pocahontas made her way to her father's tent. "I'll meet you in a while," Pocahontas says to Nakoma.

"Alright," Nakoma says back. Pocahontas makes her way into her father's tent. Pocahontas has been staying here for the last few days, not wanting to be alone. Inside, she sees her father working at his table. He is writing something down as Pocahontas says "Hello Father."

He turns around with a smile on his face. "Hello my Daughter, please sit." Pocahontas and her father make their way to the bed, sitting down on the floor.

"What was it you wanted to speak to me about Father?"

"I have been speaking to the council members about our whole situation." He takes a deep breath as he continues, "And we have decided to eventually send a boat to England."

Pocahontas jumps with a start, hugging her father as she says, "Really? We are going to England?!"

"Wait wait my daughter. We are planning to send a Boat, but we first need to build a large boat to do so. We cannot do that right away with winter coming, and then building the boat will take time. We have spoken to the few that have stayed, and very few have worked on building boats. They have offered their help. This could take around a year..."

Pocahontas froze for a moment, not knowing what to say. On the one hand, she was going to be able to see John again, but on the other hand, it would take a whole year. She couldn't be upset by this news, she was going to see him again. "It's amazing news father!"

He smiled at her then, happy to see her happy again. These two weeks for Pocahontas have been hard. The guilt that plagued her was finally seeming to vanish, and she was seeming like herself again.

"I have to tell Grandmother Willow! Thank you so much, Father!" Pocahontas ran out of the tent then, all but laughing as she ran to her favorite tree.

Once on the log that allowed her to stand and face her Grandmother tree, she said, "Grandmother Willow! I need to talk to you! I have something to tell you!"

"Oh hello, child! I haven't seen you in ages." Pocahontas hasn't come here in two weeks. She has been kept up in the tent, only coming out to work. These last few days she would leave the tent to make her Father less worried and would go sit on the rock facing the river he left on. Each day she would watch until the sun would set, and somewhere deep down, she would hope that she would be coming back.

"I'm sorry Grandmother Willow. I have no excuse for not coming here, I just have been..." She doesn't finish that sentence. For some reason explaining her grief about missing John Smith is hard for her.

"No need to apologize my dear child. You are hurting and grieving, but please, tell me what you came here for."

Pocahontas smiled then, very excited to explain to her grandmother what she heard from her father. "Father told me they are going to begin building a boat after winter! We are going to sail to England!"

"That is very exciting child!" Pocahontas smiled again, excitement filling her chest. She cannot wait to see John again.

But how would she wait an entire year?