Four

Time to get moving

(John Smiths POV)

(2 weeks later)

John smith spent the night dreaming of the girl. The bright dreams filled his mind, of being with her once again. He dreamed that he never got shot, and he was able to stay with her. He found himself fitting in with her people, and they become his family.

He was able to stay with her, and be happy once more.

But he woke with a start, being full alert as he hears a knock. "You awake lad?"

"Yeah, come on in Ben."

John Smith sits up on his bed as Ben walks in with a tray of food, setting it next to John. "You need to eat lad, you haven't eaten more than a scrap in the last couple of weeks. The only way you will get better is if you build your strength."

John takes a piece of bread, breaks off a corner, and puts it in his mouth. Chewing the small bit, he feels sad all of sudden. These two weeks have been hard for John, and eating is not his priority.

The infection was cleared, and the wound has already began to heal. John was ready to begin moving again, searching for the girl he left behind.

"When will I get to question him?"  John was ready now to begin questioning him, and the sooner he could, the sooner he would feel better.

"You are still so weak, we can't risk that kind of force on your body. You need to heal then you will be able to."

John sighed, placing the remaining bread on the plate. If anything, he felt sick with this outcome. "Oh please, John. I know that you miss her, but not eating isn't going to make this any better."

"I'm not hungry," is all John says.

Ben sighs then, leaning back in the chair he is sitting on. "If I talk to the chief, and see if I can work something out to let you talk to him, will you eat then?" John is fully altert now with this news. If he could just have time to speak to the Govener, then we would be able to get the location.

John doesn't answer as she picks up the bread once again, taking a full bite this time. Ben smiles exasperated, sliding back his chair as he rises. "Okay, just make sure that all that food is gone when I get back, or else I'll go back on my deal."

Ben makes his way out of the room as John continues to eat. John isn't really that hungry, more just numb. With the constant medication they have John on, it leaves him feeling loopy and full. This leaves time for his thoughts, and his thoughts are full of her.

He just wants to lay in the same sunflower field he did with her before, but he knew that would take time, no matter how much he tried to get the answers from him. Even if he did eventually get the answers, it would be difficult, and will come with a price.

Around an hour passes, and Ben is back in the room with him. He sits in the chair next to John, and sighs. "So?" John says. "What did he say? Can I go question him?"

Ben doesn't say anything for a moment, and then finally, "He told me you could, but in a few weeks. He wants you up and fully walking before you talk to him. He told me that he's been questioning him for days, and the guy can't a word out of him."

"Then let me try! I can get him to talk! I know I can!" John wouldn't wait a few more weeks to talk to him, he needed to do it now. "Look," John rises, pain shooting up his side. He pushes it back as he stand.

Once standing, he falls against the wall as Ben says, "What do you think you are doing standing! You are going to get yourself hurt all over! You are just starting to get better!"

John doesn't listen to him as he tries to walk. One step is made and John falls to the ground, pain spreading throughout his whole body as he falls to the ground. He begins to cry as he realizes that this setback will cost more time for healing.

"Someone come help me!" Ben is yelling as John crys on the floor.

"I just want to see her again," John says as he he gets lifted into the bed.

"I know lad, and you will, just calm down." And the only thing that John can think about is her when the morephine kicks in, and his eyes get heavy and close...