𝖝𝖛. Corvium

𝖝𝖛. Corvium

Nick

NICK IS PISSED. Like, royally pissed. Like, if he was given the chance, he would set someone on fire pissed.

Ever since Matt lost Maeve, Nick wasn't sure what could possibly spur his brother to action. He was always brooding, always moping, always tearing himself apart over his allegiances. That is, until Chris began his stupid fucking coronation tour. Clearly a ruse, definitely another plot. And it was headed straight for the Guard. Everyone suspected an attack. And they had to strike first.

Matt was right about how taking the walls of Corvium was their best plan of action.

So he did it two days ago.

Working in conjunction with the Colonel and rebels already inside the fortress city, Matt led a strike force of Scarlet Guard and newblood soldiers. The blizzard was their cover, and the shock of an assault served them well.

But that's not why Nick's pissed. No, in fact, he's actually glad about the Corvium mission. It was smart and it worked out in their favor. Nick is pissed because he wasn't allowed to go with them. For whatever goddam reason, the Colonel decided it would be best if the oldest Sturniolo prince stayed along with Cyrus and Blake and anyone else that wasn't interested in going to the military city. So, instead of fighting alongside his brother, Nick waited back in Rocasta. Him, Blake, and Cyrus spent the entire time pacing by the radio, eager for news. And, when the news came that they held the walls, that Corvium never saw them coming, that the city was boiled in chaos, they knew they could no longer stay behind.

So here he is, shrouded in the tree line with the rest of Cyrus' unit, looking out at black walls and blacker smoke. Corvium burns from within. Nick can't see much, but he knows the reports. Thousands of Red soldiers, some spurred on by the Guard, turned on their officers as soon as Matt and the Colonel attacked. The city was already a powder keg. Nick supposes it's fitting that a fire prince lit the fuse and let it explode ━ he just wishes he would've been the one to do it instead. And, even now, a day later, the fighting continues as they take the city, street by street. The occasional burst of gunfire breaks the relative silence. Nick doesn't flinch, and neither does Cyrus, but some of the others they're with ━ such as Blake ━ do.

He watches as the sixteen-year-old stares up at the sky, to the left and right, at the ground, anywhere but the burning city before them. He supposes she might be thinking about her brother ━ Ben. Nick knows how much the girl worries about him, her twin off in one of the Little Legions. It still sickens the Sturniolo to know that those legions even exist, that his father went as far as to send children to die. It doesn't surprise him, though. Not much about his family does nowadays.