𝖝𝖝𝖝. They're Coming

𝖝𝖝𝖝. They're Coming

Maeve

IT'S NOT A TRAP and it's not a trick.

Emira shakes Maeve awake sometime after midnight, her brown eyes wide and worried. The latter told her family what was going to happen over dinner. As expected, they weren't happy about her decision. Elise twisted the knife as much as she could. She wept over Cassian, still a fresh wound, and Maeve's own capture. Told her how selfish she was. Taking herself from them again.

Later, her reproaches turned into apologies and whispers of how brave Maeve is. Too brave and stubborn and precious for her to let her go.

Lincoln just shut down, his knuckles white on his cane. They're the same, him and Maeve. They make choices and follow through, even if the choice is wrong.

At least Greyson and Archer understood. They weren't called for this mission. That's comfort enough.

"Matt is downstairs," Emira whispers, her keen hands on her older sister's shoulders. "You have to go."

As Maeve sits up, already dressed in her uniform, she pulls the fifteen-year-old into one last embrace.

"You do this too much," Emira mutters, trying to sound playful around the choking sobs in her throat. "Come back this time."

Maeve nods, but she doesn't promise.

Weston meets them in the hall, bleary-eyed in his pajamas. He isn't coming either. Corvium is far past his limits. Another bitter comfort. As much as Maeve used to complain about dragging him along, worrying about the fish boy good at knots and nothing else, she'll miss him dearly. Especially because none of that is true. He protected and helped her more than she ever did him.

She opens her mouth to say all this, but he shuts her up with a quick kiss on the cheek. "You even try to say goodbye and I'll throw you down the stairs."

"Fine," she forces out. But her chest tightens as she looks over his face, seeing the fear written across it. She pulls him in close and rests her head in the crook of his neck. She knows he's not just worried about her. "I'll take care of him. Do my best to keep him safe out there."

Weston knows who she's talking about and nods against her. It becomes harder for her to breathe with every step down to the first floor.

Everyone waits in congregation, looking grim as a firing squad. Maeve's mother's eyes are puffy, as are Greyson's. He hugs Maeve first, lifting her clean off the floor. He lets loose one sob into the crook of her neck. Archer is more reserved. Cyrus is in the hallway, too. She holds Campbell tightly, rocking her back and forth. Elise is going to take the baby, of course.