𝖝𝖛𝖎. The Choke

𝖝𝖛𝖎. The Choke

Maeve

MAEVE CAN'T SEE CORVIUM through the low cloud cover. She stares anyway, her eyes glued on the eastern horizon stretching out behind her. The Scarlet Guard took the city. They control it now. Chris and his entourage ━ including Maeve ━ had to skirt around, giving the hostile city a wide berth. Chris is doing his best to keep it quiet; even he can't hide such massive defeat. The Deuveux wonders how the news will land across the kingdom. Will Reds celebrate? Will Silvers retaliate? She remembers the riots that followed other attacks by the Scarlet Guard. Of course there will be repercussions. Corvium is an act of war. Finally, the Guard has planted a flag that cannot simply be torn down.

Maeve's friends are so close she feels as if she could run to them. Tear the manacles off, kill the Salem guards, jump from the transport and disappear into the grey gloom, sprinting through the bare winter forest. The Colonel, his crimson eye, his weathered face and the gun on his hip a comfort like nothing else. Cyrus with him, firm and tall and resolute as she remembers. Blake, her silence a shield rather than a prison. Weston, familiar as her own two hands. Matt, angry and broken as she is, the embers of his rage ready to burn all thoughts of Chris from Maeve's mind. She imagines leaping into their arms, begging them to take her away, take her anywhere. Take her to her family, take her home. Make her forget.

No, not forget. It would be a sin to forget her imprisonment. A waste. She knows Chris like no one else does. She knows the holes in his brain, the pieces he can never make fit. And she's seen his court splinter firsthand. If she can escape, if she can be rescued, she can do some good still. She can make her fool's bargain worth the terrible cost ━ and she can start to right so many wrongs.

Even though the transport windows are tightly sealed, she smells smoke. Ash. Gunpowder. The metallic, sour bite of a century of blood. The Choke nears, closer with every passing second as Chris' convoy speeds west. Maeve hopes her nightmares of this place were worse than reality.

Kitten and Clover are still at her sides, their hands gloved and flat upon their knees. Ready to grab her, ready to hold her down. The other guards, Egg and Trio, perch above, on the transport skeleton, harnessed to the moving vehicle. A precaution, now that they're so close to the war zone. Not to mention a few miles from a city occupied by revolution. All four of them remain vigilant as ever. Both to keep Maeve imprisoned ━ and to keep her safe.

Outside, the forest lining the last miles of the Iron Road thins into nothing. And then she sees it.

The Choke is an ugly place. Grey dirt, grey skies, blending so perfectly she doesn't know where the land ends and sky begins. She almost expects to hear explosions in the distance. Her father said you could always hear the bombs, even from miles away. She supposes that isn't the case anymore, not if Chris' gambit succeeds.