4

Maddie was excited today was the village festival. The one she thought she had missed because of being in London. She would get to enjoy one of her favorite days. She had a very special dress for today one if anyone saw her, they would never think she was the daughter of an Earl just Maddie. She wore a simple brown skirt with a cream-colored blouse with an outer corset. She wore her hair down accented with a ribbon, and a pair of very simple flat shoes like the village maidens wore. She ran down the stairs and flew out of the door and on to the village.

Daniel had been sitting in his study going over some papers when Maddie flew past him. He looked out his window not believing what he had seen and called out to Mathis.

"Yes, Your Grace!"

"Where the bloody hell is she off to dressing like a peasant and unchaperoned?"

Mathis tried not to laugh she was always running off to the village dressed like that. She wanted to fit in not stick out.

"She is off to the village festival I would imagine. She never goes to the village chaperoned. The Duchess and the Earl both gave their consent for her to do so. Lady Jacob has a lot of friends in the village. Even after all this time, they think of her as their little miracle, and they are very protective of her."

Daniel didn't say anything to Mathis, he went out and shouted for his mother. Which he hadn't done since he was small. Stella came out of her room looking as if she had been woken up.

"Daniel, what on earth are you shouting about?"

"You gave Maddie permission to dress as a villager and go into the village alone? Where is your common sense?"

The Duchess shook the sleep from her body and smiled at her son.

"Matthew and I always let her have free run here. She can do as she pleases if you don't like the way I do things you can be her keeper, which by the way in this village she doesn't need. But do what you want. I suggest if you are going to go after her do not dress like a Duke just be yourself."

Stella turned and went back into her room.

Daniel was getting ready to go out to retrieve Maddie, but he saw the look on Mathis' face.

"What."

"I know it's not my place Your Grace but don't go to the village as the duke go as Daniel. The village and the people are very important to her. If you stormed into the village as the Duke you would only annoy her and then there will be no living with the girl or your mother."

Daniel rolled his eyes and made his way up to his room to change. He wore his tan pants and a loose shirt, and Hessians. He hadn't dressed this causal going out since he couldn't remember when. When he arrived in the village, she was hugging a woman and took her baby from her. She was laughing and shooing the woman whom he supposed was the mother off. One of the shop keepers came out to talk with him.

"She is something special our little Maddie. She has grown to be quite the young lady do you not think so your Grace?"

So much for fitting in. He had noticed the shopkeeper had used her given name.

"She is special, but why is she so special to the village?"

"I am sure Stella or Matthew told you the story of Maddie's family tragedy?"

Daniel was puzzled.

"Her mother died giving birth. Her father died in a carriage accident. That is all I know of Maddie's life before she started to live with the Earl."

The shopkeeper looked surprised.

"You don't know how we all found her? How every one of the villagers and Matthew had to save the baby? Well, your Grace have a seat, and I will tell you the story of our little miracle baby."