7

Daniel made it back to his home with the party in full swing. It looked like everyone from London had arrived at the party. He walked to see Jeffries coming on to Maddie. Who was handling the situation. It was the nerve of Jeffries that caused Daniel to act out in the most childish way he could. What was it about this girl that he was reduced to a boy of ten?

"Maddie is that anyway to welcome me home after such a long trip?"

Maddie, who had been fighting off Jeffries, had not seen Daniels return. She took the opening to put off the Lord. She took him off his guard when she turned and flew at him and flung her arms around him as if she were happy to see him.

"When did you get home Daniel my luv?"

He was stunned by her words. What shocked him more was what her words did to his heart. He had never felt this way before by anyone's words. He twirled around and kissed her on the forehead.

"I just walked in the door luv. How is your party going?"

She gave him a look that only he could see. She rolled her eyes, and she did something funny with her mouth. You could never tell by the words that came out of her mouth.

"It is a wonderful party, Daniel. I am so glad the Duchess thought of it."

She removed her arms from around his neck, then went back over to where Jefferies was standing speechless. It was the first time she had seen him since his arrival with a loss of words.

"Close your mouth Jeffries she is my ward there is nothing there."

Daniel went upstairs, he wanted a warm bath and some rest before he had to deal with all his unwanted guests. He had a lot to do before they returned to London. He had to figure out his next move. He needed to prove Cuthbert was the boy who murdered the Marquis and the groom's son. But what did he want to do about Maddie? On his ride back the words Lucas told him "She is in Love with you" kept playing in his head. Was he in love with Maddie? Could they be happy together? If they married, would they always be arguing, or would they find the love and peace his mother and Matthew had? He was pretty sure he was in love with her. Why else would he have kissed her those times in the study and at the water? He had much to think about.

Daniel made his appearance at dinner. As everyone was sitting down, he reached his mother leaning down kissing her on the cheek. Then went to the head of the table. Maddie was sitting across from his mother. He was tempted to kiss her on the cheek as well but until he made up his boggled mind he would try to refrain. Now he was thinking about it, it would be much harder to refrain from showing her affection.

They were waiting for the food to be served when Maddie turned to Daniel and smiled. She was a little upset with him after such a wonderful greeting he left her alone in the lions' den. She spoke so only he could hear her.

"You took your sweet time getting down here."

He smiled into her eyes, not quite the color of the night sky but rapidly getting there. It made him smile.

"I had to make sure I was presentable. I would not want to embarrass you."

She laughed and then made him laugh with her words.

"You my dear Daniel are perfect no matter what. I do not think there was a time I did not see you and think there goes the most perfect human being. Even if you are covered with mud."

Maddie had decided while Daniel was gone, she did not want to marry someone she did not love. She loved Daniel. God help her it had always been Daniel. She made a vow to herself she would do everything in her power to persuade him to fall in love with her. Little did she know it would not be a hard effort at all.