Chapter 7

I woke up as the captain announced our arrival into Srinagar airport. Reality hit me in the face as I realised the truth of the events that happened today. Zain with Zoy...no, I can't torture myself by thinking about them again and again. I turned my phone on to see missed calls from Abbu, Ammi and Ruby Aunty. No call, no communication from Zain.

I turned  my mobile camera on and wiped the smudged kajal off my face to not let the state of my heart and mind being expressed from my face. I didn't want to trouble Ammi and Abbu. They deserved all the happiness in the world.

"Ammi, Abbu" I ran towards them and hugged them tightly as I came out of the terminal.

"Meri bacchi" Abbu called out.

"Assalamualaikum. How are you." I asked.

"Now that you're here, we're all good."Ammi replied.

Ammi and Abbu took me home and showered their love on me. Ammi prepared my favourite meal and Abbu helped me unpack.

At night, all alone, thoughts of Zain, precious moments spent with him flooded my mind. Then I remembered him and Zoya together. How everything between us meant nothing to him. It was just a good time for him. I felt the pillow getting wet from my tears and I started shivering.

I quickly got out of my bed, went to Ammi's room and crawled into her bed, hugging her tightly.

"Kya hua Alishba? Sab khairiyat to hai?" she tensed up as she felt my presence beside her.

"All good Ammi, just missed you a lot." I covered up.

She patted my head slowly, hugging me, slowly lulling me into sleep.

This became a daily routine for the next few weeks. I tried to get back to my normal routine but every hour of my day, something or the other reminded me of Zain. I loved and hated him at the same time.

Slowly, over time I came to terms with what happened, but could never get over Zain.

This was clear from the smile that formed on my face as I look at a picture of me and Zain at the waterfall. The next moment it was replaced by a frown thinking about my stupidity, let alone naivety that led to my heart getting crushed in the worst way possible.

A mail popped up titled 'Announcement of Zeus Internship Winner" and distracted me from my thoughts. I quickly opened and my heart drop.

"Zoya Afreen has been awarded the opportunity to launch her app through which haptics can be utilised to join people across the world not just through audio or visuals but through touch."  It read.

And why not, afterall this is what a company wants. Who cares about philanthropy when you can make billions selling the technology and developing communication apps. Such an irony. They initiated this project as a CSR initiative but ultimately bend towards profit.

"Divay calling" flashed across my screen and I picked it up with a heavy heart.

"I am sorry Divay. I couldn't make it "

"That's okay Alishba. You tried your best and always remember, the learnings you had here will always stay with you. You keep working towards your objective"

At the same time, I remembered Aamir's word "The way just changes, it just becomes more difficult. Not the goal. It's still there"

"Thanks Divay. I promise you I'll continue working towards it"

"That's the Alishba I know. You take care okay. Call me when you feel better"

"Don't worry about me"

"Take care" saying so he cut the call. I went to Ammi and Abbu to convey them the news.

"Ammi, Abbu. About the intership, the funding, I..."