Chapter 18

~ᑕᕼᗩᑭ丅ᗴᖇ 18~

He'd done a whole lot more research, had a whole lot more reasons to keep Buttercup stuck with him. Told Brick to go dive deeper into Mr. Einar's death and decipher the why's and how's. He had lied before when he told Buttercup that he knew all the answers to her questions. So as soon as he left the coffee shop he immediately began research. It wasn't hard to find answers that he was looking for. Brick was the best in his field and he had Blake working with a contact in the Lunar Dragons. Bella? Bell? Something like that.

Butch was busy reading over Bubble's file when Brick slammed open the door. The guy wore a frown and his eyes crinkled in confusion. "Have you seen the cameras?" The red-head questioned.

"No...?" Butch closed the manila folder and kicked his feet off his desk. "What's the matter now? Lumpkins trying to rob our safehouse again? Mojo going off on his own, trying to hide from us?"

Brick shook his head and walked over to his boss. He flipped the computer around to face him and started typing. Red eyes flicking left to right behind his glasses as his fingers danced across the keyboard. Butch watched what he was doing from the reflection off the guys glasses.

It was a rarity for Brick to ever wear his glasses. He always used contacts, but there were these rare occasions where the man would forget and he'd have no choice but to wear his thick wire-framed glasses.

The red-head shoved the screen in Butch's face when he finished typing. "It's your little girl-toy."

Butch practically growled at him. "Don't call her that." With an eyeroll from Brick, Butch decided to just dismiss what was said. He turned his attention to the computer and frowned. "Fuck is she doing?"

It was the oddest place to find her. Why was she in pajamas? Why was she wondering the city? Is she hiding from someone?

Butch frowned and pulled out his phone. She seemed to be staring at the camera, fear crossing over her eyes. She was diffidently thinking about something. Butch pulled up her contact information and clicked the call button.

It took a minute for Buttercup to hear the ringing. When she did he watched her jump and slam her head into the wall. "Ow... That's gotta hurt." Brick sucked in a breath between his teeth. "I'm gonna head over and do some more digging. You watch over youre little girlfriend."

Butch waved him off and waited for Buttercup to pick up the phone. When she did he didn't give her a chance to speak. "First of all, that looked like it hurt like shit. Are you okay? Secondly, what the fuck are you doing?!"

Buttercup smiled up to the camera. It looked like relief and satisfaction all at once as she smiled. "Looking for you."

Butch snickered. 'She's looking for me?' He wanted to tease her about that, but instead he found he could tease her about her Sesame Street attire. "In your pajamas?" The girl flipped him off. He rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair. "Awww, come on, Love. You look absolutely bewitching in those trash can bottoms."

"Would you shut up? They're Oscar the Grouch."

"Forgive me," He put a hand over his heart mockingly, even though she could not see him. "I'm not a child keen on watching Sesame Street my whole life." There was a groan from the girl. Butch couldn't help himself, he was already on a roll. "Although you do look hot. Nice ass by the way."

"Oh for the love of God." That's when she hung up and stuck up her middle finger. She crossed her arms and glared.

"Okay, okay. I'll stop." He said as he tried to call her back. "Come on, darling, pick up. I'll behave." Instead of obliging to his wishes of answering the phone, she shook her head and held up the number five. "You're kidding?" He put his phone away and frowned. "Five minutes? Fine."

He stood up and tugged a jacket over his shoulders. It was cold out there after all. "Be prepared for hell, missy." And with that he walked out the door and down the hall.

***

Buttercup sat in the alleyway for what felt like forever. She was counting up to five minutes. So far, three had passed, that left one-hundred-and-twenty seconds.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, wight, nine, ten, eleven," She leaned her head against the wall and yawned. This was a boring as counting sheep. At this rate she'd be passed out by the time she reached twenty seconds.

"Miss me, love?"

Buttercup stopped counting and looked over to see Butch leaning against the wall beside her. "Missed having answers, yeah."

"Ow," He clasped a hand over his heart. "You didn't miss me?"

"Now why would I miss you?" Buttercup stood up and crossed her arms.

He smirked then looked her up and down. "I was right, trash cans."

"Oscar the Grouch asswipe." She rolled her eyes.

"Tomato tomato."

"You did not just disrespect Oscar like that."

"If the shoe fits."

"Oh okay." She placed her hands on her hips. "I'm done. I don't have a question to ask after all." She walked past him where he reached out a hand and stopped her.

"Okay, okay. Calm your pretty little ass. What the hell did you wanna know?"

It was Buttercups turn to smirk. "I got a lot of questions."

"And I got a lot of answers." He retorted then sat down, dragging her to the floor with him. "What do you wanna know first?"

Buttercup glared at him, where should she start. Probably with the one question that had been bugging her since the second she left her appartment. She took a deep breath in before asking. Three words that would mean the difference between who she trusted and who she didn't. Three words that would be her breaking point.

"Did Mitch know?"