12 - Max

I scanned the dimly lit streets, cruising slowly down the street in my brother's car. Cristian didn't put up much of a fight when I asked to borrow the car. Usually, he wanted a whole tap and dance show. Tonight, he must've noticed the urgency in my voice. She never calls me at this time of night asking me to pick her up unless one of her shitty ass dates left her somewhere. While I'd love to leave her ass there and let her learn her lesson, I couldn't do that to her. Especially not with the wide range of creeps in the city. She'd be safer with me than on the streets.

In the darkness, I caught sight of her familiar head of brown and blonde curls sitting on a bus stop bench. The yellow streetlight over her head shined over her hair, magnifying her natural blonde highlights. Her green eyes went wide as I pulled the car up beside her. She quickly uncrossed her legs, ready to make a run for it if she needed to.

"Uber for Ms. Audrey Nieves," I said as I rolled down the window.

At the sound of my voice, her shoulders dropped in relief. She hurried over to the car and climbed into the passenger seat. Up close, I noticed the fresh tear stains decorating her round cheeks.

"How much damage do I need to do? Blacken his eyes? Bust his lip? Maybe knock a tooth or two out?" I asked.

She shook her head. "He's not worth the energy," she murmured.

"What happened?"

"Exactly what you predicted: he just wanted to put his hand in my pants." She turned her head towards the window, hiding her face. "Just tell me 'I told you so' already and take me home, please."

My brows came together. An apology lingered on my lips, along with so many other words I wished I could tell her. But, I didn't want to add to the pot of emotions that was already overflowing. So, I kept my mouth shut and drove us home.

Audrey was quiet throughout the entire ride, She kept her eyes glued to the passing city buildings and townhomes. From the corner of my eye, I could see a lone tear falling down her cheek every so often.

If I could wipe away her tears and punch the daylights out of Carter, I would. She was worth so much more than just sex. It's a shame none of the shitheads she dated realized that. From the sight of her lion's mane of curly hair, vibrant green eyes, and luscious curves, they all thought she was just a trophy to be won. They didn't care to notice the scrunch of her nose when she was mad or the tiny snort she makes when she laughs or the kind smile she shares with everyone she comes across. If they did, maybe they'd realize the true treasure she was.

"Do you wanna come inside?" I asked as we arrived in front of my house. "I can make some hot cocoa and we can watch a movie."

She glanced at me, giving me a glance at the dark clouds covering her irises. "Honestly, Max, I just want to lay down."

"Can I lay with you?"

She nodded, more tears welling in her eyes. "Please?"

I escorted her up the porch steps. Pulling her close, I pressed my lips against her temple. "I'll be over in a minute, alright?"

"Okay," she murmured.

I watched her walk into her house before hurrying into my own. I dashed upstairs and opened my window. Quickly, I climbed out of my window and ran down the steps of the fire escape.

Audrey's window was already open. The soft light of her room illuminated the darkness on the black platform. Peeking into her room, I watched finish tugging an oversized sweatshirt over her torso. I knocked softly on the side of her window, alerting her of my presence.

"Hey," I said.

She glanced over her shoulder. "Hi," she whispered. Her hands went into her voluminous curls, gathering them in one of her small fists.

I took a seat on her bed as I watched her wrestle her curls into a bun on top of her head.

She wiped every inch of makeup off her face with a wipe.

Quietly, I admired her bare face. The tiny freckles on her nose. The natural salmon color of her lips. The tiny scar underneath her left eyebrow - the only one she didn't hide from the world.

Her eyes caught mine in the mirror and her cheeks darkened. "What are you staring at?" She asked.

"A pain in my ass," I replied with a smirk.

She rolled her eyes. She walked over to her bed and crawled underneath the covers.

I kicked off my shoes and socks while she fiddled with the remote. Scooting back on her bed, I watched her flick on one of the Halloween movies. I lay down beside her, opening my arms in a silent invitation.

Wordlessly, she leaned into my embrace, pressing her face in the crook of my neck and wrapping her slender arms around my abdomen.

Strands of her hair tickled my lips as I spoke. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," she whispered. "He told me he was entitled to a blowjob."

I couldn't stop myself from laughing. I thought Carter was dumb, but I didn't realize he was that stupid. Audrey should've kicked him right in his blue balls for saying that shit.

She lightly punched my arm. "It's not funny!"

"You really do know how to pick 'em, don't you, short stack?"

"Shut up," she grumbled. A soft sigh escaped her lips. "I didn't really like him, anyway," she admitted quietly. "I really wanted to, though."

"I know." I rubbed her back. "I'm sorry it didn't work out."

"Don't apologize. Honestly, I don't have the energy to worry about it."

"Then, why are you upset?"

She hesitated, her fingers twirling a fold in my shirt. "Did I ever tell you about Wyatt?"

"No. Who the hell is that?"

"He's my brother - well, my biological brother." She scooted closer to me, absorbing every inch of warmth from my body heat. "He lived with his father after...you know."

"Okay, so what does he want?"

"I don't know. I haven't spoken to him since the trial."

"Why haven't you spoken to him?"

She went quiet again. This time, her fingers were still. No tugging. No twisting. Nothing. "He took her side," she whispered almost inaudibly. "During the trial, he was supposed to tell the jury what happened - what she did to me. But, instead, he claimed he didn't know...that he didn't see it - any of it."

My arms tightened around her. Guess there's another name added to my hitlist. "Did he...know?"

"He was the one who dialed 911 every time she went too far. He's the one who saved my life. If he hadn't called that night, I..." Another tear fell from her eye, wetting my shirt.

I pressed my lips against the crown of her head. "It's okay. You're alive. You're safe. You never have to experience that pain ever again."

"My fathers said I should hear him out." She picked her head up. Her brows were pulled together, and her wide eyes were filled with uncertainty. "Do you think I should?"

"I don't know. If this is the first time he's reaching out after all these years, maybe it's something worth hearing."

"Maybe." Her face fell back into my chest. "Thank you," she whispered.

"For what?"

She nuzzled her nose into my chest, a tell tale sign she was on the verge of falling asleep. "Protecting me."

"I'll always protect you," I whispered. "Forever."

Her cheeks lifted in a small smile. "Forever."