22 - Max

"Ah shit, what did you do now?" Jordan asked as we walked towards the library for study hall.

I followed his gaze to Mr. Connor's figure standing at the library door, chatting with the librarian. "Not a damn thing," I replied with a groan.

Mr. Connors turned his attention to us as we approached him. "Good afternoon, boys. How are we doing?" He asked with a small smile.

Jordan grinned. "We're doing great!" He replied.

My counselor raised an eyebrow when I ignored him and tried to follow Jordan into the library. "Where do you think you're going?" He asked.

Glancing at him, I said, "About my business."

"Your business is in my office - right now."

I sucked my teeth. "Come on, Mr. C; I have homework to do."

"Really? Because I spoke with all your teachers today, and they assured me that you're all caught up on your work."

"Why are you all up in my business?"

"Why have you been dodging my appointment slips?" He retorted.

I glared at him. "Because I'm fine," I hissed.

He nodded towards the opposite end of the hallway. "Let's go to my office. Mrs. Reilly already marked your excused absence for today."

Rolling my eyes, I stormed off towards the other side of the hallway.

Mr. Connors walked a few steps behind, letting me simmer in my frustration.

I took the long way to his office, damn near walking around the entire building. Truthfully, I was pissed I wouldn't be getting my nap today. I was out late last night shopping for a gift for Audrey. Cristian gave me another earful when I got home, and I'd told him to go fuck himself. We spent a good half hour arguing before he finally left me alone. I'd only caught a few hours of sleep before I had to wake up for school. Tonight, I had to work with Audrey until closing. The short 50 minute period was the only rest I was going to get before the evening - and now I had to spend it talking to Mr. Connors about nonsense.

I plopped down in the chair in front of his desk, laying my cheek in the palm of my hand.

"So," Mr. Connors said, settling his brawny frame into his cushioned chair. "What's been going on lately?"

"Nothing," I lied.

His lips pressed together in a tight line. "Max, I thought we were past the point of lying. I've heard the rumors floating around in the hallways. Let's try again: What's been going on?"

"Nothing," I repeated.

"Having an issue with some members of a nefarious gang doesn't sound like 'nothing' to me."

"There isn't an issue anymore. It's over now."

"Okay, then we'll talk about the other rumor I've heard."

I raised an eyebrow. "About what?"

"About the person who's been stepping into your fights lately."

Clenching my jaw, I averted my gaze. Instead of Mr. Connor's concerned eyes, I focused on the Black Panther Funk-O-Pop on his desk.

"It's alright, Max. This is a safe place; you can talk to me about whatever's going on."

"There isn't much for me to say," I said with a shrug. "Apparently, my father's lived across town for the past five years, and neither my mother nor my brother thought to tell me."