Chapter Nine

As soon as it felt safe enough, I opened my door, hopping out of the car. The entire weekend there was an awkward cloud floating above our house. The dinner on Friday with the Ford's was the start of it all, as it spiraled from there.

"Jesus, Ella. You can wait for the car to stop moving before you get out." Atlas's head popped up on the other side of the car as he climbed out. I was already headed towards the school, ready to find someone who would rid me of the nasty feeling the weekend left.

Walking through the front doors of the school, some weight left my chest. God, I hated the classes here, but sometimes school was a safe place for me. It gave me a break from whatever was happening at home, especially during those rough months before and after my adoptive parents disappeared.

Charlotte was easy to spot, leaning against her locker while texting on her phone. I had stopped trying to contact her after Friday, disappointed in her leaving me to fend for myself at the dinner party. I hesitantly made my way over to her, not sure if she would still be pissed off.

"Hey." I played with the straps of my backpack, needing something to fiddle with.

Charlotte looked up surprised, as though she hadn't heard anyone around her. She gave me a small smile when she saw me, returning her attention to her phone. I waited to see if she would say anything, but nothing came.

"Is something wrong?" She looked back up at me, her eyebrows furrowing with confusion. "You seem mad."

"I'm not mad." It came out a little forceful, her smile strained. "How was your weekend?"
"It was fine." My eyes darted around her face, trying to read her. "I texted you on Friday, but you never replied."

"I must've not seen it. I was so busy with school and stuff." She flipped her hair over her shoulder, scanning the hallway. "What was it about?"

I knew she was lying, but I didn't feel like confronting her in the middle of the school hallway. "The Ford's came over for dinner."

"All of them? I bet that was hella awkward."

"That's why I tried inviting you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe call me next time. I was so focused on homework, I didn't see your message." Charlotte looked down at her phone for a second, before looking back up at me.

"It's okay. I ended up going to bed early."

I could tell she was getting bored of the conversation, so I quickly explained what Mr. Collin had told me yesterday. "And he didn't explain why?"

"Nope." I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't care though. I'm still gonna do it."

"You're still gonna do the project? Do you think that's safe Ella?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" My eyebrows furrowed as I looked up at my best friend.

"I don't know." She was acting weird, and I couldn't understand why. "Someone could be making sure you don't complete it."

"Who though?"

Charlotte shrugged her shoulders again, typing something onto her phone. "I don't have any idea who would." Her fingers typed away angrily on her phone.

"Are you sure you're not mad?" My eyes darted around her face, trying to find anything there.

"Why would I be mad, Ella? I'm fine."

The bell rang and Charlotte was quick to say her goodbyes, disappearing into the crowd.

I stood at the doors that entered the cafeteria, unsure of where to go next. Charlotte hadn't been the friendliest this morning, so sitting with her probably wasn't an option. Students passed by me, not paying much attention. A few even hit my backpack, laughing along to something their friend must have said.