Chapter Thirteen

Once we reach Kody's neighborhood, I am stunned.

"You never told me you lived on this side of town."

I watch the large estates as we pass them. They all range from higher-class modern houses to raging wealth, all having something unique about them. One has a wrap-around porch, while another has an assortment of windows covering the house.

"You mean the snobby side of town?"

"No, Kody. I mean the rich side of town."

"I'm not daddy's money, I promise."

I hum while looking at him suspiciously. Of course, I was only kidding, I knew Kody well enough to tell money wasn't his personality.

We turn into the driveway of a house that is easily one of the more modern, classy ones in the neighborhood.

His two-story house is white, with various windows looking out in all directions. It has gable roofs and telling by the cobblestone driveway probably looks just as nice on the inside.

"Wow Kody, if I knew you lived in such a nice house, I would've asked to come by sooner." A wide smile falls onto my face as I forget everything that had happened before.

"Wow Ella, if I knew I had even a chance of you coming here, I would've brought you sooner," Kody says, matching my energy.

I gently shove his shoulder and laugh. We park in the back of the house, right in front of the very spacious garage. He turns off his car and we sit still in silence, watching slowly as the car lights dimmer.

Kody lets out a gentle sign and leans his head against the seat, turning his head discreetly towards me. I feel his eyes on me and as I mimic his actions, I let my eyes find themselves on his.

He smirks a little.

"What?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"Nothing." The boy shakes his head innocently.

"That stupid smirk doesn't mean anything."

"I just have a question," his voice gets smoother and slower.

A sigh escapes me. "Anything for you."

"Why did you call me?"

I scoff, smile, and roll my eyes at his pretentious question.

"That's not what I meant." He lets out a small chuckle and continues, "I meant why me? Why not Charlotte or something?"

I forget that he doesn't know the whole story with Charlotte and Avery. That the two had become besties overnight.

My eyes scan his face, noting the seriousness there. "Because you're the only one who came to mind when I needed an escape."

"I feel like that's a compliment."

"Take it as you please." I gently smile and stare at his eyes. The dim moon reflects in his eyes, captivating mine.

We sit for a couple of moments. Like the calm before the fury.

After a few more comfortable minutes of peace conversations, I find myself being given a tour of Kody's prosperous living space. Once shown the house, the Chinese food he had ordered after picking me up had arrived.

We find ourselves sitting on the hardwood floor in his room, stuffed bellies and sweet smiles painted on our faces. We sit in comfortable silence, while I admire Kody's laughter.

"You know, you stare a lot," Kody says, his sweet smile replaced by a cocky one.

"I can say the same about you."