Chapter Fifteen

Charlotte's head rolls onto my shoulder, making me nearly tip over into a bush until I am saved by Kody.

    "Woah, woah."

    He rushes over to grab Charlotte's side and softly pulls her off of me.

    "My savior," I joked softly and we both shared a smile. The steps to Caleb and Avery's house seem to be never ending with the weight of Charlotte on me. "Come on, Char. We're almost there, stay awake." There really was no point of trying to keep her eyes open, she was deadweight regardless.

    Once we reach the final step, I pass Charlotte to Kody, who gently holds her under her arms. I was hesitant at first. There is a long list of what could go wrong if I ask for Avery's help, including having to deal with Charlotte's parents and my guardian. Hopefully if this worked, we wouldn't have to worry about that.

I feel like a bad friend, leaving Charlotte here. Before we arrived at the party, we had made a plan to text her parents and tell them that she's spending the night at my house. I wasn't expecting her to get black out drunk, now I really couldn't take her home with me.

    She's friends with Avery, she'll be okay and looked after. I keep repeating that to myself to make the guilt lessen. Too bad Avery developed a specialty in being a bitch, we could've had the same friendship they do.

    I ring the doorbell, waiting for one of the brooding monsters to answer the door. His expression doesn't alter when he sees us. It's not like three teenagers, one who's currently passed out, randomly showed up at his door in the middle of the night.

    "Ella."

    "Caleb." I mimic his intense tone, adding in a cheeky smile. He doesn't budge and waits for me to continue with an explanation. "Just a really quick question." I still hold the cheeky smile on my face, hoping he would catch on.

    He doesn't.

    "By chance is dear, sweet Avery home?" I rock on my heels, his stare intimidating the shit out of me, making it much harder for me to have a conversation with.

    Charlotte makes a sound that resembles a whale stuck on land. Caleb makes an exasperated groan and runs his hands through his face.

    "I'll take that as a no," I say. Just my luck. "Can you just do me a big favor pretty please? You can consider it an early birthday present."

    My birthday isn't until August...it's November.

    He stays silent, thinking it over. "Nevermind, I knew you were going to be an asshole about this." I turn away, frustrated with the lack of help I get from him. I used to be just as close to him as my other foster brothers, but then life happened and people changed.

    "Come on, Kody. Let's go." I grab under Charlotte's other limp arm and help her maintain her balance.

    "Jesus Christ, Ella. Just come in," Caleb finally musters up more than a one word sentence. With my back turned towards him, I sneak a mischievous smirk at Kody, who amusingly shakes his head back at me.

I knew that was going to work. "If you insist."

Kody and I head inside with Charlotte, but we don't make it far enough with Caleb blocking the entry way with his arm. "Not him, just you and Charlotte."

That was no big surprise, the boys just really don't like Kody.

I give him an apologetic glance, "I'll be back out in a few."

After dropping Charlotte off in one of the guest bedrooms, receiving a long lecture on how I shouldn't have been with Kody nor drinking, I finally make my way out of the Ford's house.