Chapter 16

The silence from the kitchen couldn't be any louder. I feel my heart beating against my chest as my mind tries to process what my brother has just said. I wait to see if he will say anything else, but either they lowered their voices, or they were all standing around in shock as well.

I silently take the stairs two at a time, hoping no one catches me eavesdropping...again. If what Finley said is true, my foster mother tried to kill herself. I hadn't given her much thought since Kody told me about the asylum, but this means she's gotten worse. I can feel my breathing pick up as too many scenarios play through my head.

Without any more thoughts, I grab a towel from the hall closet and head straight to my room. The sound of the running water hitting the side of the tub helps calm me down.

In the mirror, I meet my own eyes. I can't think straight. The alcohol from the party is long gone from my system, but the adrenaline from sneaking around still runs through my veins. I can't believe I didn't see the camera when I first went into the office.

Stepping into the shower, I let the water run over my back. The steam fills the bathroom around me as I take in a big breath.

After finishing in the shower, I wrap the towel around my body and pad into my bedroom. Rummaging through my pajama drawer, I find a pair of sweats and an old t-shirt. The design is faded while there are also a few holes on the bottom. It was probably a hand-me-down from one of the oldest boys.

I try to distract myself with everything surrounding me. I want to fall asleep and pretend that none of the last hour has happened. Lying down in bed, I pretend I didn't sneak into Dallas and Kai's office. I pretend I don't hear that my foster mom tried to kill herself. I just pretend.

My head turns against my pillow, my eyes falling on the clock. I watch the numbers turn to 4:00 am. I was able to get about an hour of sleep, but every sound outside my door made me jump. The folder hidden under my bed was haunting me.

I give up the fight as I jump out of bed. I quietly drop down onto my knees and I pat the floor to find the folder in the dark. The sun would rise soon, but I don't want to turn on the big light to find this. Catching the corner of the paper folder, I make my way to my desk.

My desk light doesn't give me much to work with, but it will be enough. If any of my brothers happen to walk past my room, my desk light won't make them suspicious enough to walk in.

Taking a deep breath, I flip open the folder. The first thing I find is a court order for mental health treatment. My foster mother's name is printed at the top–first and last. My heart drops at the sight. Lauren Barns.

I remember when Milo and I first moved in, the others had said Finley was the first to arrive. Maybe Chris and Lauren changed his last name after they adopted him? My brain tries to fill in the blanks that I haven't uncovered yet.

Reading over the paper again, I note that this was from April, almost seven months ago. The timeline checks out, as this was around when my foster parents disappeared, but where was my father? I curse myself for not looking for Chris's folder, but I know I can't risk going back in there so soon.

I set that paper aside, preparing myself for the next one. Scanning over the slightly wrinkled paper, I quickly realize it's a birth certificate. This is Lauren's as well, but it doesn't provide me with any useful information.

My heart beats against my chest as I glance at the door. I really don't want any of my brothers walking in here while I'm going through this. None of them should be awake at this time, but they've been very unpredictable lately.

Taking another deep breath, I move the birth certificate to the side. The paper underneath looks almost the exact same. My eyes move over it as I try to figure out why it's in here twice. I stop thinking as my eyes reach the first name. Finley Christopher Barns.