20

Sumi had spent hours trying to get her hair under control for Haya's date. She really didn't want to call it a double date, because... well, as far as she knew she was just doing Haya a favour and Shinsou was just doing Kaminari a favour. Still, she felt like she was going on a date. She had gone through her entire wardrobe at least twice and hadn't found anything that was perfect, so she had to settle on a pair of high-waist jeans and a nice flowery blouse. But her hair was a different story – it was untameable.

Sumi's entire family had either completely straight hair or slightly wavy hair – it was only Sumi who had somehow managed to get a big head of red curls. Massive curls that made her look like some sort of 80s pop icon, but she wasn't sure how to pull off any other look. She had no idea whether Shinsou would be into that, but she almost doubted it. Either way, it didn't matter, because today they absolutely weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing. It was always a bit of a struggle, but right now she was straight up at war with her hair. Nothing would work on it, nothing at all.

She had tried straightening them, but they ended up looking really weird and they made her head look much too big. So she had gone and washed them again and had tried to blow dry them in a way that made them look a little less big. It was only semi-successful. In the end she just put all her hair up in a bun that still looked huge, but it looked like she had a little more control over her hair then she really did.

But that was the best her hair would do today. Sumi wasn't really happy with it, but... well, she supposed that there were more important things than how her hair looked. Haya was already waiting for her when she finally put on her shoes and her coat and threw her keys, phone, wallet and headphones in her bag. And her book, just in case she wasn't going to be able to talk to Shinsou after all.

Haya had been getting restless over the last few minutes which meant that she really had to like this Kaminari guy. All Sumi had ever heard of him was when Haya mentioned him because of some dumb joke he had made or when her dad had been complaining about how annoying he was. She figured that if he was annoying, he'd be a perfect match for Haya, because she was similarly irritating. At least they weren't going to annoy each other. Hopefully. It was weird to think of her sister as having a boyfriend.

Sumi found it weird to think of herself as having a boyfriend. She didn't have one, but... well, the possibility was right there. If she managed to talk to him. And if he liked her. Oh God, what if he didn't like her? Sumi had started panicking as her and Haya made their way to the fair. What if he didn't like her and he'd tell the entire school that she had a crush on him and everyone was going to make fun of her?

"And... are you even listening?" Haya said as they were getting closer to the fair. Sumi blinked and shook her head.

"No." she just answered. There was no point lying to Haya. Plus, it was probably not very important. She was always talking and half of what she was saying was absolute bullshit. That's why Sumi rarely listened to her. Haya was used to it, though. She wasn't going to take any offence. But right now she was shaking her head in disappointment.

"Well, I was just telling you about how Shinsou actually asked if you'd be coming along when Kaminari asked him to join us. He didn't know that you were going to be there yet. Now do with that information what you will, because... there they are!" Haya said and walked ahead of her to give Kaminari a big hug.

Sumi felt like her heart had stopped for a few seconds. Shinsou had asked about her? Whether she was going to come along? He actually... he actually wanted to spend time with her? Sumi just stood in the same place as before, trying to process this information. Haya had already made her way over to Shinsou and Kaminari, but Sumi just... she just wasn't ready yet. She didn't know what to do with that information.