Chapter Twenty • Confusion

TWENTY • CONFUSION

"Oh...it makes sense, I'm just-"

"Processing it?"

"Yes." I nodded in understanding as Beckham slowly began to recover from my revealed information. Josiah Chevelle, the overseer of the school, was the creator of the divisions and for my fellow Inbetweeners, this was news.

"Something throughout his lifetime must've made him reject his own idea."

"But what?" I asked. "I've only talked to the guy once, and that was just a few hours ago. I didn't have this information when I was talking to him, so the subject never came up." Beckham massaged his temples, eyes closed and meditation cleary fighting for dominance over the current situation.

"Then what DID you talk about with Chevelle?" I clenched my teeth in thought. We were sitting in Beckham's large, front room, the same place I had found myself wasted and tied to this entire dare.

"To be completely honest, I got more from Ryder than I did the headmaster. Chevelle just told me that he had plans for me and that was the reason I was coerced into coming to Reietto. Not only is that utterly unrevealing, but inconvenient. I don't need to be used for any sort of 'plans'. I just need to get through school," I rushed, my mind gradually picking up speed.

"Are you going to apply for outside employment?" Beckham suddenly asked.

"You mean getting out of this place? Of course." He frowned.

"Hmm. That's a first. Most of the students like the school," he wondered aloud. I pressed my lips together, reaching for my drink off of the coffee table.

"Don't get me wrong; I like Reietto. I like the ideal of....unique students joining together to be like quotem quote 'normal' kids, but it just seems there are some students and teachers who are still not quite on the same page. And I don't know if I can be holed up in some stone fortress for the rest of my life. I need a little more Vitamin D than that." Beckham laughed.

"True. You don't seem like the type to stay in one place, do you?"

"Well, no. But I've had to for family reasons," I sighed. He nodded.

"We all have our reasons. But aside from our personal affairs, we need to keep a close eye on our acquaintances in the Mind and Blood divisions. Now that we know that the head of the school is involved with the divisions, it'll make things a little...easier." I raised a brow, but said nothing.

"Well, I better get going," I finally said, breaking the silence. He nodded and waved as I made my way towards the door.

"Oh, and Rose?" I stopped in mid-step and spun around.

"Hmm?"

"You wouldn't happen to have a date to the dance, would you?" I smiled.

"With the head of the Minds himself," I claimed proudly. "What better way to gain trust than through romantics?" Beckham's shoulders drooped a little; it was clearly what he didn't want to hear. It might've been more obvious to others, but I noted that he might've wanted to go with me and that made me a little less proud.

"Okay, that's a good idea. I'll see you around, Rose," he said. I paused, wishing to mend things, but turned away and decided it would be better just to leave.

As I made my way down the hallway, I turned the corner only to run straight into (and I mean quite literally) Ryder. By the time I realised I was colliding with someone, papers and manilla folders were already flying through the air from the collision, a string of curse words following.

"Can't stay away from me, can you?" I clenched my teeth. Just seeing him was frustrating.

"Something like that," I muttered, crossing my arms and watching as he picked up his scattered files.