Thirteen • Wake

THIRTEEN • WAKE

I opened my eyes to a mucky ceiling and the smell of pine. I wasn't at my dorm and I certainly wasn't in my bed. I looked down, realizing that I was tucked into a large, blue couch and I wearing an unknown, frilly night gown, accompanied by a plethora of pillows making a halo around my head.

I clicked my tongue as I began to taste the night's previous beverage choice stuck to my tongue and when I smelled myself, I finally understood what parties smelled like. I also suddenly caught a terrible scent other than myself realised that the alcohol probably hadn't agreed with me last night and now someone was trying to fix it.

"You're awake! Finally!" I heard a call from the kitchen. It took me a few moments to notice that Chloe was poking her head out of a small, serving window with a bright, and far from devious grin, painting her face. Rubbing my eyes and smearing what little make-up was left, I sat up and stretched my stiff spine.

"How'd I...?"

"Guess you were pretty drunk," Chloe continued to half shout, "and, well, you just kind of passed out. Daniel and I had to carry you here." I raised a brow. Last night was still a bit blurry...

I did something...

But what?

"Okay, well I'm just gonna go back to my dorm," I called back, getting off the firm couch. Chloe came running, only to push me back down.

"Eh, eh, eh! You're staying here today," she stuttered, throwing the blanket back over me. "You don't know what I had to do to get the attendance office to let me stay home with a 'sick' student. I practically had to scream at them not to send a nurse up! If they knew you were drinking..." she scoffed with a small laugh. I ran a hand through my slightly ratted hair and then fell backwards, trying desperately to screw my head on straight.

I went to the party.

I met...Beckham.

I danced for the first time.

Beckham started...talking about...something...

I got drunk. Obviously.

"You've got the day off, Rose! No worries. I got you covered," she exclaimed proudly.

"Something happened last night..." I mumbled.

"A LOT of things happened last night," she giggled, suggesting she had a secret she wasn't quite willing to share yet. It was beginning to bother me. What happened?

And that's when I remembered it.

There was a dare. A silly, stupid dare and now I had been coerced into tracking two boys who were allegedly planning a war against each other. That was the detail I had been missing.

"Oh crap..." I moaned, pulling the blanket over my head as Chloe entered with two cups. She nudged me and I threw the cover off, my face a mess of anger and disappointment. She handed me the cup and squeeked, 'Tea', taking a sip of hers.

"I did something I did NOT want to do." Chloe just stared into space, trying not to listen even though I knew she was. "You're an idiot," I added calmly, sipping my own tea.

"You're the bigger idiot; you were asking for it!" I furrowed my brows, sitting up slightly.

"I was drunk!"

"And I was having a nervous breakdown!" she nearly shouted back. "No one challenges me. Never." From the glimmer in her eyes, I could tell she was still struggling with her past. Obviously I had hit her funny bone last night when I put her on the spot. But my real question was whether or not talking about our pasts was just unwanted pressure on a bruise or an outlet.