Chapter Fifteen • What's Ahead

"They're Inbetweeners; they have nothing to do with anything!" Cas retorted, throwing Ryder backwards as he finally broke free. Both boys were breathing heavily and the crowd seemed to be holding their breath in anticipation, watching the leaders of the two larger divisions face their opponent.

"Now they do! Thanks to..." he paused and turned in my direction with everyone's gaze- including Cas'- following, practically staring me straight in the eye. He lifted a finger and pointed right at me.

"Her."

***

FIFTEEN • WHAT'S AHEAD

My heart was racing.

Was he pointing at me?

My knees buckled, nearly giving way. I quickly caught myself, trying to be less noticable. But how could I when every pair of eyes was on me?

"Her." That was the last word I heard before that small ringing that was in my ear began to drown out everything else. I hadn't even followed through with anything, let alone provoked anyone. So how on earth did he know?

I gripped Chloe's hand so tightly I'm sure her hand would soon go numb. Ryder didn't look like the type I wanted to go up against and now, although I had no idea how, I had blown the whole thing. How could I be so stupid? I wanted to cry, but I held my tears in. Stupid, stupid Reietto. Screw academics. Scrap the early graduation. All I wanted was my idiot mother and her idiot husbands back. My crappy house. My crappy room. My quiet life. The life where I had no confidence and just my scared, lonely self. At this moment, there was nothing wrong with being alone or worth the company.

"That girl wouldn't stop talking, Cas. The things she said...maybe the Inbetweeners aren't so inbetween after all," I heard Ryder hiss. I stopped breathing for a moment to hear my thoughts. What was he talking about? I hadn't said anything that would disrupt our plans; especially not to Ryder. I didn't even see Ryder often enough to say hello. Not that I would want to.

"Just leave it, Ryder. Chloe is an innocent girl. Hands down," Cas replied, a flame still obvious in his voice. My mind's slate cleared for a moment. What? Did he say Chloe? Was I imagining that or did I really just hear him say Chloe?

"You were there, Cas. You, of all people, should know. Your little, 'innocent' Chloe wasn't spouting anything innocent." I looked up carefully, truly hoping that they were truly talking about Chloe. When I saw all eyes on her and not me, I mentally sighed, trying not to show my involvement. Every man for himself.

Cas looked carefully between Ryder and Chloe, and although I'm not sure why, he got jurisdiction over the situation. The room was silent, waiting for the final hit of the gavel.

"We'll...investigate," he finally whispered. Ryder looked satisfied and began walking towards us. Chloe, still quietly standing beside me, was now wearing a terrified expression and if there hadn't been a wall of students, she would've booked it. Three of what I assumed to be Bloods followed after Ryder. Three Minds gathered around Cas. And as I always, I was left assuming; perhaps the divisions had councils.

Chloe was backing up nervously, but the Bloods were right on her, grabbing her arms. Ryder didn't touch her, allowing his followers to do his dirty work for him.

"I swear, there's nothing to hear! I've got nothing to say! I didn't say anything!" Chloe shouted in a horrified tone as they yanked her along, bringing chills to my bones and goosebumps to my skin. They practically dragged her across the floor as she kicked and screamed and plead in her defense, but to no avail. Once Ryder and his servants began exiting to who knows where, Cas' nervous group of more quiet Minds cautiously followed behind him as they left right behind Ryder to 'investigate'.