Chapter Seventeen • Lies and Trust

SEVENTEEN • LIES AND TRUST

I looked at Daniel to see him typing away on his phone. I turned my attention back to Chloe and closed my eyes so I could think. How did Ryder know where I was anyway?

"You two should both leave then. I can handle this myself." When Daniel snapped his phone shut, he looked up with same kindness and genuine concern I had seen him possess when we first met.

"No way; I'm not letting you take this one by yourself," he snarled protectively. Chloe shrugged.

"At this point, your wish is my command," she concluded and left, leaving me and Daniel together. As much hate as I felt towards Daniel, I couldn't help but uphold my promise to protect him. He was trustworthy and kind, but made a stupid mistake; I was willing to give second chances. These two were my only friends.

"I made a promise. And I'm going to keep it, even if it was made against my will," I stated, walking to my window and casually closing the blinds. He paced around the room, avoiding my gaze.

"Listen, Rose. I'm really sorry for what I did, but there's a reason for everything. I can't tell you what those reasons are, but they're certainly there. The dare itself didn't mean much, but what you're doing does and you probably would've been our spy one way or another," he explained. One way or another? He was saying it as if I was destined to do this.

I walked towards him to stop him, but he continued to pace nervously.

"Daniel-"

"I know you have to do this and it's going to save the entire school, but the least I can do is help you," he said, stopping in front of me. "I have a promise to keep, too." I furrowed my brows, extremely puzzled, but then realised I didn't have time to ask questions.

"You're a great friend- my only friend- and I want to continue to be friends. But if something happens to you, or Chloe, or anyone else in this school, I'll have to live with the fact that it's my fault. I'm not typically the merciful, compassionate, or generous type, so I suggest you take it or leave it. And by take it, I mean you leave willingly. Leave it means we're no longer friends," I huffed. It was a poor and weak ultimatum, but I was running out of time.

"But Rose-"

"Daniel." I looked at him hopefully, wishing he would just leave. Finally he sighed.

"Fine. But if anything happens, I'm going to be around the corner to hear it. Got it?" I smiled and nodded, ushering him out of the door.

"Sure. Just go now, before he gets here," I said in a loud whisper. I pushed him out of the door and watched as he smiled and gave me a thumbs up as I shut it. As I leaned against the door with my head hanging towards the floor, I sighed. Why did my friends have to be practically be bi-polar?

I began making the same tracks in the carpet as Daniel had, pacing the room with no intentions of calming down. Ryder was similar to my pursuers at my old school; rude, violent, and unforgiving. If there was a chance to wedge their way into a situation and make an excuse about how pathetic I was, they made sure it was done. How would Ryder be any different?

I'd had my fair share of trials in my life so far; my mom's addictions, bullying, my seven dads, and not even knowing my real dad. But this? This wasn't a trial. This was a choice. Good or bad, it didn't matter. It was my choice that I had made and I couldn't turn back. Turning back required courage, turning back required voice. I wasn't going to flee the grounds of Reietto, but I wasn't sure how I could face the problem I had put before myself.

I sudden pounding on the door made me jump, my heartbeat speeding up and my vision getting slightly blurry. Trying to ignore the physical instabilities, I made my way to the door feeling faint. If I blew this, I was risking a possible World War III. If I succeeded, I would continue to lead Cas and Ryder on until they revealed they're plans for World War III; either way, there would be war.