Subtlty doesn't work, Eddy the wingman

The three had already headed back to brisbane, and they were simply hanging around.

Brett suggested they all go get dim sum together, which happened to be one of
Y/n's favorite things. But they surprisingly said no, instead they suggested something else, "let's go to the market! We'll get whatever kinds of dumplings, wontons, whatever you want, and I'll make it all for us. I can make milk tea and homemade boba too if you want" brett and Eddy glance at each other, "you know what? Sure, that sounds awesome!" Eddy exclaims, brett nodding in agreement, "yeah, sure, thats really nice of you n/n."

Y/n's head perks up a bit as brett calls them by their nickname again, they smile, "then c'mon, let's get going. Put your shoes on and get in the car!" They laugh a bit, "we're going on a mission!"

Brett and eddy chuckle, quickly putting on their shoes and heading out the door, following after their enthusiastic friend.

It wasn't a far drive, but once at the market, Y/n asks eddy to push the cart so they can focus on grabbing everything they need, brett will keep track of what they already have and don't have for them as well.

Watching them work was fascinating, throwing out questions of the things they have at home, "bamboo steamer?"
"Yes." "Good, good. Papers for it? Or napa cabbage?" "Yeah, we have the papers." "Great."

They move fast, surprisingly knowing exactly what they're looking for, soup dumplings, pork, beef, and chicken. Potstickers, pork with cabbage. Brett and eddy actually seem impressed by the things they grab, and how quickly they do so.

Pork bao buns, Shumai, pork and shrimp.

They have a whole feast in the cart, eddy looks at brett who has his gaze fixated on Y/n, his eyes read differently than he had ever seen from Brett. He smiles, nudging brett which startles him a bit. He turns to look at eddy, "huh? What?" He questions, eddy motions his head in Y/n's direction, "you looking at something there bro?"

Bretts face deepens in color and he sighs, "yes.. But you can't blame me! Besides, I'm trying to see if I can figure out what they think of me." The man speaks quietly, though y/n is distracted chatting with the cashier who compliments their choices in food.

"Yeah, you're right. I can't blame you, they're great. But you gotta actually do something man. Even if you were to straight up tell them you think they're attractive, they would assume you were just complimenting them. They can't take a hint. Subtlety doesn't work bro." Eddy laughs a bit, patting bretts shoulder, "you gotta do something for them to realize what you're getting at."

Brett sighs, "I know.. But what do I do? What do I say?" Eddy smiles, "be yourself, tell them what you like about them!" Brett nods, seeming a lot more couragious than he had ever been in the past, once they are heading back to the car with their haul, Y/n makes a joke about having to invite some people over to help finish it all and begins laughing. Brett takes the opportunity, chuckling a bit as well, "you know? I love your laugh, it's adorable." He feels a bit of nervousness eat away at him as he waits for their reaction, their cheeks tint a shade darker and they laugh a bit harder, this time their hand comes up to cover their mouth, "oh hush! It is not!" They continue to laugh, "is too! Its cute!" Brett argues, y/n snickers to themself, "shush-" brett holds his hands up in defense, "fine, fine. But you aren't changing my mind n/n" y/n's heart skips for a moment as he calls them n/n again. It just rolls off bretts tongue a certain way, its pleasant to the ear and pleasant to the mind at the same time.

The three return home and Y/n huffs, "you know- I think we might actually have to invite someone else to help finish it all once its cooked" Eddy and Brett laugh, "we could call Ray? Or hyung?" Eddy suggests, "Hyung's out of town, maybe Ray is still here" Brett replies.

"I'll call him real quick" y/n says, picking up their phone and dialing his number, "hello?" Ray Picks up the phone, "hey Ray," y/n replies. "Oh hey! What's up?" He asks, "oh not much, but I was wondering if you're busy at the moment?" They inquire.

"Uh, no I'm not. Why?" Ray replies, "because I'm making dim sum at home for me and the boys, but I may have gone a bit overboard." They chuckle, "oh geez- so you want me to come help finish the feast you bought?" Ray laughs. "Yes. Precisely." Y/n responds.

Ray heaves a lighthearted sigh, "alright sure, I'll be there in 20 minutes. See you then" y/n smiles, "great! Thanks Ray, see you soon!" "Bye" "buh-bye" y/n hangs up.

"We have a willing participant for the feast!" Y/n laughs, speaking in a triumphant voice.

Y/n quickly begins cooking, steaming things, pan frying things, boiling water, boiling tapioca for the bubble tea, etc. It takes them about 30 minutes in total, as they are working brett was hanging out in the kitchen with them, chatting.

"All of this smells amazing n/n." Brett comments, y/n chuckles, "thanks Bretty" they reply, using an old nickname they used to call him when they were kids. Brett smiles at them, "Bretty huh?" He asks as he steps towards them, "you haven't called me that since primary school" he leans his head beside theirs, over their left shoulder to gaze at them from the side. At the same time they hear Ray knocking on the door and eddy calls that he'll get it. Y/n turns their head to look at brett, his face is inches from theirs and they feel their stomach get lighter, and their face get a bit warmer. "Yeah, well you call me n/n, so I'll call you Bretty." Brett laughs, "fair enough." He replies, his eyes wandering around y/n's face, a smile present on his. "You have really pretty eyes, you know that?" He comments, meeting their gaze once more, this causes their face to warm even more, Ray pokes his head into the kitchen, "oy! What're you two doing?" Bretts eyes widen and he moves back from y/n to look at ray.

Talk about bad timing..