Two

Friday morning, seven a.m. The morning of Michael's party. I jump out of bed and start putting on the clothes I laid out last night.

A black crop top, white shorts and my signature black converse. My phone dings and I look at the text.

It's from Zander.

Hey, beautiful ;) Ready for tonight?? I am:)

I respond, Yes you weirdo. Can I call you Stupidhead??

He responds, No you may not ;)

I send him a thumbs up and go downstairs to eat breakfast.

Sausages and Biscuits. I grab the jam out of the fridge and put it on my biscuit. While I'm chewing the rest of my breakfast, I see a note from mom on the counter.

Hey, honey. I took Dalton to school this morning so you won't be late again. I'll be working late tonight and dad won't be home until ten so if you can, cook you and your brothers some dinner please. Love you, Mom.

I go out the door to my car and head over to Sam's house, because she's been calling and texting me all morning.

Sounds like she's in a bit of a predicament, because she was crying over the phone this morning. I still have fifteen minutes before school starts.

When I arrive at her cul-de-sac neighborhood, I drive into her driveway and get out. I knock on the front door and Meryl comes out, wearing pajamas and a solemn expression on her face.

"She's upstairs," her mom spats in a harsh voice. Why is her mom upset?

I see Mr. Jenkins on the couch, reading the newspaper, oblivious to his wife's attitude.

I casually walk up the stairs to Sam's bedroom, where she's laying in bed, watching The Notebook and eating a bucket of strawberry ice cream.

"Jacob broke up with me. Yesterday." She says, pausing the movie.

My eyes go wide and my mouth hangs open. "Why? What happened?" I ask, still in shock.

"He broke up with me because... I'm pregnant, Erica," she says, tears in her eyes.

She's full on crying now and I pull her into a hug, soothing her. "It'll be okay, I promise."

After I leave her room, Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins tell me to sit on the couch.

"So, I'm assuming she told you both?" I ask calmly, in a quiet voice.

"Yes. We were the second people she told. Why would she do something so stupid?!" Mr. Jenkins yells in a loud booming voice.

"David, calm down. We'll figure something out." Mrs Jenkins says.

"Calm down?! Meryl, I am the preacher, you are my wife and she is the preacher's daughter. She has shamed us and our town." He says, avoiding my eyes.

"If she has shamed you two, why is she still here?" I say, without thinking.

"That's what I was wondering. Why is she still here, Meryl?" David asks.

"I am not kicking her out! She is our daughter!" Meryl yells.

"Well, then. I guess I'm not talking to her." David says, stalking off to the backyard and kicking over the plastic pool chair.

Their brown service labrador, Dixie, runs and hides under my feet.

"I'm sorry, Erica. I think it would be best if Samantha stayed at your place for a little while until David calms down. Samantha told me she is considering adoption. She says it would be easier that way. Tell Sam to go pack a bag, would you?"