Nineteen

Judith

There had been odd times where she found her brother distant. Though she thought of him as a father, being Distant to others ran thoughts through her mind. She'd been wondering why recently he'd leave in the middle of the night for walks.
She'd wait at the door sometimes because faint sobbing would wake her up. She felt bad to hear him cry. She couldn't understand the reason for it, but there sure was.
She felt a lingering sadness loomimg over him everytime he talked about a few people, people he'd lost. The one that Made his eyes glossy was Uncle Glenn. Rj had once asked him what happened, his answer was; 'I'll tell you when you're just a little older'
Carl wasn't a bad parent. In fact he let Judith in on all the things that he was Told growing up. He was only Gone when a run was needed, Or Ron thought letting Judith and Rj spend time with other family members were needed.
She had her legs slung around Carl, Braiding his hair. He sat on the floor, cleaning Ron's gun.

"How'd you lose your eye?" Judith hummed, Carl chuckled. He had to answer. Today was a day for Questions and must have answers. Carl agreed to it.
"Well., Back when you were just Really little. Like drinking from the bottle" He chuckled, Judith's bottom Lip jutted forward in a pout.
"Walkers got in." He mumbled, Thinking how to word it. Judith put the hair tie in and shifted herself to stand, Carl following after.
"And something happened to Ron's Family that made him upset with Dad" he hummed, taking Judiths hand. This was their afternoon walk.
"He pulled out a gun, and pointed it to dad. But mom came to save the day and stopped him." Carl hummed, Judith looking up at Carl.
"Ron got spooked, and pulled the trigger. And it just so happened to hit my eye" He hummed, Judith nodded.
They walked in Silence, Judith holding onto Carl's hand, Carl's thumb rubbing her knuckles.
They walked through the lush grass and sat by a tree, one that Carl tends to sit at.

"You think mom will bring dad back?" She mumbled, Looking over at Carl.
He stopped on his words, answering with a nod.
"She will" He smiled, Leaning over and Pressed a kiss to the top of her head.
"Have you thought about going to look for them?"
Carl nodded, picking at the grass.

"I did. But who's gunna keep you safe if I left?" He chuckled, Judith cracked a smile. "You're one of the few people that I have left. I need to keep you safe at all costs." His eye narrowed. She nodded.

Even before. Judith remembers when Carl would sit out in the living room and  calm himself, not crying after he tucked Rj and Judith into bed.
She'd creep out and peak down the stairs to see Carl, back against the couch, his head leaned back and his leg bouncing.
He was distressed and Judith didn't know how to help.
There would be times she found herself asking Negan what to do.

"Why does it bother you so much? You should be living your life that Carl is making for you" he expressed, Judith huffed and crossed her arms and leaned back on the wall.
"Carl is the closest thing I have to a parent. It hurts me when I see him work so hard for something that he never got." Judith mumbled, Negan tilted his head.
"Like what?" He mumbled.
"A childhood" She whispered, sitting on the floor. "He looks hurt. He always does. He gets distant."
Negan nodded, sitting on the floor with Judith.
They sat Silently. Even for how young she was, She understood how everything worked, only because Carl told her everything.
She went to Carl more then Ron when it came to wanting answers. Ron curved around the question, Carl didn't unless it was something He thought Judith was too young to know.
"You just need to wait" He mumbled, Judith looked at Negan.
"Wait?"
"Yeah. Sometimes you gotta wait for someone to come back. Your dad was the same way after losing someone." He mumbled.
"Who did he lose?" She mumbled, Negan hummed. He got the story from Carl.
"Your mom. Her name was Lori." He mumbled, He was Hesitant on telling her.
"She died giving Birth to you. And Carl had to finish it." He hummed. "Your dad went nuts" he chuckled.
Judith sat Silently. Carl probably had a good reason for not telling her.
"Carl is going through a little something like that. But he can cope better than his dad. He understands that he has no one else but you And Rj. Ron is only his lover. But you and Rj is all the family he has." His head tilted.

Judith nodded, getting on her feet and nodded to Negan. She took her leave and skuttled into the house, Peaking In.
Carl was dancing To songs on the TV with Rj. 
Judith smiled as Carl looked over and put Rj in his Seat.
"Can I talk to you? Outside" Judith hummed, Carl given a Glance to Rj with a nod.
"Yeah- Yeah just give me a minute" He hummed, quickly giving a plate of Food to Rj, whispering a; 'give me a minute' before walking with Judith out the door.
Judith sat on the steps, Carl sitting beside her.

She waited a moment to start talking. "Negan talked about Someone named Lori.," she mumbled, looking at Carl. His brow was lifted, he looked Scared to talk about it.
"She died giving Birth to me?" She whispered, Her voice cracking with Sadness.
Carl shook his head in a loss for words, he went to say something, but he couldn't.

"I dont know what to tell you." He mumbled, Judith nodded.
"Did you.,?" She huffed, Carl nodded, His Arm Hooking around Her and held her in a careful hug.
Judith sat Silently once again, Carl was gathering himself.

Night had fallen, Judith followed behind as Carl, Rj was laughing as Carl carried him In his arms. Judith wanted to walk to her bed tonight.
Carl tucked Rj in, smothering his face with Kisses. He chuckled.
"Night Carl" Rj whispered. Carl smiled and pressed a kiss to His forehead and Turned to Judith, Carefully dropping to his knees and tucked her in as well.

"I'm sorry about earlier" She whispered, Carl looked at her with a faint smile, shaking his head.
"Dont be. You have every right to know about her." He smiled, tilting his head and Brushed her hair out with his hand.
Judith shook her head.
"Are you.. having Nightmares because of what happened with Lori?" Judith's voice broke. Carl sighed, Tryingvto save the conversation.
"No, I could never" He mumbled.
"You've been sad lately. Is it because Ron had to stay at Hilltop?" She whispered, Carl shook his head.

"I'm just tired." He chuckled, Pressing a kiss to her forehead.
Judith nodded, she felt air stick in her throat. She knew Carl had seen the tears in her eyes.
He given her a smile, A reassuring kiss to her cheek, whispered a faint goodnight and left the room.
She tried to close her eyes to sleep. But she couldn't. The feeling that Carl had kept eating at her. She wanted to fix it.
She heard things rustling around downstairs.
Carl was giving the house a quick Clean up. But He wasn't crying tonight.

-

(1,256 words