Chapter 6 (Satisfied, 1/4)

I immediately back away from Evelin, fear in my eyes. She walks over to me, concern in her eyes. "What's wrong?" She asks me, her voice littered with pity. I felt a pang of guilt echo through my body. 

"Y-you're not Evelin. You're an alternate." I say bitterly, trying not to let the tears spill out of her eyes. 

She looks confused. "I'm not an alternate, Jonah.. I'm worried. I saw everything once I came back from the woods, and you were running away. All the dead bodies... the blood... Do you know who did this..?" She was crying.

Huh.

Maybe this is Evelin.

I walk over to her slowly, opening my arms out for a hug. She immediately drops all her weight on me, causing me to step back a bit at her weight. I didn't expect her to have this much weight for such a small frame..

I see she's crying in my shoulder, and i comfort her.

"I have a feeling it's Adam.. You noticed he was gone, right?" I ask, looking into her hazel eyes. She looks down, trying to remember. "I remember that, yeah. I went out into the forest nearby to try and look for him, but then I heard a gunshot at the house. I ran back, and I saw-"

"N-no. I... I don't want to remember it." I say, tears are starting to fill my eyes. I can smell the rotten bodies and iron tinted air already.

She nods, wiping her tears. Mascara ran down her cheeks. "I know, it's hard. But you need to accept it, Jonah. Adam is an alternate. Everyone you love is dead. It's best to leave it at that and move on. So you can heal."

I stare at her. She sounds so wise now... was this the same girl I was talking and laughing with a month ago?

"You look pale.. is there something wrong?" Her soft voice makes me come back to reality, and i take her hand.

"Evelin, you and I both know Adam is an alternate. And we can stop him before he tries to destroy us," I swallow, watching her eyes fill with determination as i continue, "So, we need to kill him. Permanently. Even if we're on death's door, we still need to fight until hes dead. Screw fear, focus on the task at hand. Kill him, or we will die trying. Got it?"

I never seen Evelin so determined before. She nods, taking my hand and pulling me somewhere.

"She's an alternate. Don't trust her."

There's that voice again. I shake it off, following Eve. I can trust Evelin. But then I notice someone following us. I couldn't see him in the dim lighting, but he ran fast at us.

"EVELIN, YOU MIGHT WANT TO PICK UP THE PAC- AAAAH!-" I cut myself off by tripping over something - probably a stone - and fall over on my face. I scramble to my feet.

That's when i realized what I tripped over.

It was Evelin's severed arm.

I scream, turning over to the shadow man. My eyes widened, registering it as Adam. He had more of an alternate appearance; His eyes were wider, his fingers were longer, his smile was inhuman. Evelin was squirming under his grip. I immediately let go of the arm and run at Adam, but he made me stop in place.

Adam slit Evelin's throat (on the sides, where the arteries were), causing massive amounts of blood to spill and for her to shriek in pain. Adam then stabbed her 4 times in the back and one in the heart, leaving the knife in Eve and dropping her body.

She was dead.

gone.

I began to tear up.

"You.. YOU MONSTER!" I screamed at him, the tears streaming down his cheek as he walked towards me, one step at a time.