Chapter 2

^Joann's POV^

As we exit through the front door, I look around to see quite a lively village. People were walking and chatting, children running around and I could hear music faintly being played from far away. I was caught slightly off guard especially by how everyone seemed to be happy. The villagers all had very unique attributes, many of them seeming to be part Fae with their different attributes relating to animals or plants. Then there were people who, though appeared more normal, were covered in unique tattoos. From what I've learned the tattoos are attributed to the magic that witches and wizards wield. It was odd to see all the different species mingle and it warmed my heart. This was something my parents would have wanted to see.

After a few seconds of just being enraptured by the scene in front of me, Ace lightly grabs my wrist and tugs me forward.

"Let's get going, I can imagine that has finished her conversation with the village chief." Ace says. I nod in response, glancing once more at the villagers before looking forward. Ace lets go of my wrist once I start walking with him, and I look at him curiously. He seems to notice and raises a brow to me. "What's up? Got something on my face?" he asks jokingly and I shake my head.

"No, I was just curious about something. I noticed that some of the villagers have animal attributes so I assume that they're Shapeshifters. This is the first time I've seen Shapeshifter's having attributes of their corresponding animal, but still being in human form. Is that normal?" I ask. Ace glances behind us at the villagers before shaking his head.

"No, what you're seeing are half breeds. Or Hybrids in other words. They are the offspring of the fae and human. I've explained before about familiars and their connection, but I didn't really explain the different bonds there are. The bond between human and familiars can be close enough as is that it's common for them to fall in love. Hybrids are the outcome. Sadly unlike their Shapeshifter parent, they can't change shape, nor hide their animal attributes on their own. So to say, if I were to have a human partner and we had a child, the kid would have cat-like attributes and not be able to hide them. Thankfully for places like this, there are witches around so they have potions and artifacts that could hide their attributes if they needed to." He explains as we continue to walk. After walking past a few more houses we stood in front of a building that had a sign saying town hall.

We slowly approach it and once we reach the door, Ace raises his hand and knocks on it before taking a step back. As we stand we can hear a man on the other side talking sternly, loud for us to hear him, but not loud enough to understand what he was saying. A few seconds later, the door swings open and a man is standing there on the other side, his face scrunched up in frustration. He looked oddly familiar, but I couldn't understand why.

"Are you the girl and Shapeshifter Ivory was talking about? Great that makes this simpler. I refuse to put my village and people in danger, for the sake of Angel country. Our village is unknown to outsiders and only those who are trustworthy can know of this place so it would not be in danger. Since you're finally up, you can leave and return home." The man says. As he speaks, I notice Ivory peak over his shoulder to see us and then sigh and shake her head. She pushes past the man and stands in front of us. She turns her head to us and mumbles, "This is why I didn't want you guys showing up on your own.", before turning her head back to the man.

" Chief Prodótis, please just give us some more time to explain. This could help our village as well. If you can't listen to my words, at least listen to this girl's words. She has power in the Angel country and also knows what the Naphal Emperor has planned." Ivory says. As she speaks about the Naphal Emperor, Chief Prodótis flinches with shock flashing in his eyes. He takes a step back and looks to the ground.

"Emperor? What has happened to the Empress? Has the Crown Prince taken her place?" he asks, raising his eyes that flicker between the three of us, only to stick to me. I felt as if he could see through my eyes and the great sin I committed. I look down and hear him sigh before turning around and waving a hand inside. "Let's continue discussing this inside. I don't want the villagers to hear a word about war." He says as he walks inside. Ivory steps in first and looks back to us with a slight nod of her head, signaling for us that it was okay. Ace steps in first and I follow behind, closing the front door as I enter. We follow Chief Prodótis a little down a hallway until we enter a room that looked like it held meetings. There was a large circular table at the center of the room with chairs surrounding it. From my guess this is where meetings are held to discuss the future of the village. My curiosity perked on wondering who else had a part of being in charge of the village, but my thoughts were interrupted as the Chief cleared his throats and had a hand out, gesturing for us to sit. We all take a seat and sit in silence for a minute before Chief Prodótis speaks up.