The theatre

"And who could be this mystery man so important of bringing home for a family dinner, El?" Joyce nudges El's elbow as they prep tonight's dinner.

"You'll know when he gets here, Mom." El gives her step-mother a look.

"Could it be that you and a certain football captain have made up?" Will chimes in.

"Guys. Please. Just wait until he gets here before you start making assumptions. Trust me." El tells them firmly.

"Aha! So at least we know it's a he!" Will shouts.

Everyone gives Will a "no-duh" and an "are you serious?" look

Will grabs the plates and heads to the dining room. "Ya... Ya, I know. I'll leave the detecting to Dad." He mumbles.

"I'm no better off at this investigation. My only guess is it's the football player again." Chief Hopper tells his step-son as he helps set the table.

As Mike Wheeler drives downtown through Hawkins on route to the Byers-Hopper residence, he's got a bouquet of flowers mixed with El and Joyce's favourite flowers: madonna lilies and white roses.

Although he knows how hard this dinner is going to be considering the circumstances, he realizes there are some benefits— like knowing the mother's favourite flowers already... or having an over 10-year rapport with the family.

He's going over a hundred different scenarios of what he's going to say or how El's family is going to react when something unfamiliar captures his attention.

He is horrified when he fully comprehends what is in front of him.

The Hawk Theatre has a big billboard on top of the building advertising a showing of the new film "All The Right Moves.".

But below the official black box letters is more letters, spray painted in matching black, vandalizing the sign. It reads out "starring El 'the slut' Hopper".

Mike is horrified. A lump forms in the back of his throat and he feels sick.

Although he already had a pretty strong guess, he doesn't have to look far to find who the culprit is.

In front of the theatre leaning over a white '83 Pontiac Fiero is none other than it's owner, Troy Harrington, and two of his friends from the football team. Empty spray cans and beer bottles are littered across the ground, and celebratory cigarettes are proudly being lit, no doubt over what they just did.

Rage is coursing through Mike's veins. Without a conscious thought, he has already pulled himself over next to Troy and his goons.

"What the hell, Harrington?" Mike shouts as he exits the car and slams the door behind him.

Troy puts his cigarette out against a trash can, and heads towards Mike with a smug expression. "Ahh, Wheeler. I was hoping you could make it to the show."

"What the hell is wrong with you, Harrington?" Mike points towards the sign.

"Nothing's wrong with me." Troy chuckles. "It's her you have to worry about. And it's only going to get worse if you don't cooperate."

"What are you talking about? I thought you wanted El back. How could you—"

"I do want her back." Troy cuts him off. "But the problem is, she doesn't seem to want me anymore."

Mike recalls last night at the party, when El rejected Troy and chose him. "Who El wants to be with is up to her. If she doesn't want you—"

"Actually it is up to you." Troy brings his hand to Mike's chest aggressively, shoving something to him.