𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐈

a/n I really have nothing to say for myself except that I wrote a whole 17 part fic in between the last chapter and this one.  I will post that when I edit it and also the next part of infinity is already being written:)

-------

Please Let This Be a Normal Field Trip

•••

Going on college tours was the least of my concerns right now, but the countdown for applications had long since started and, while things seemed to slow down, I figured I'd get it over with.

By 'figured I'd get it over with' I mean finally accepted William's offer once Mark said he'd go and I no longer would be a third wheel. We'd be staying overnight in Rick's, William's not-yet-boyfriend, apartment.

I wasn't even sure if college was for me anymore, but that probably made it all the more worth checking out. Before, I'd thought I wanted to follow in my mother's footsteps and become a doctor. I already saved lives, and I could be getting paid to do it.

But after seeing Minta's vision, true or not, the idea made my stomach churn, just a little. My future was up in the air.

After about an hour's car ride, complete with cheerful chatter between the three of us, we arrived in front of a nice apartment on a large campus.  After a quick interaction with Rick, who William was clearly head over heels for, we set our things down inside and let Rick be our tour guide.  He and William had chemistry, plain to see, and it made me happy knowing my friend wouldn't be the odd one out of our little trio.

Rick let us sit in on one of his classes, and with the exception of some werido, it went perfectly smooth.  I couldn't say for sure yet if I wanted to go to this school, or school at all for that matter, but I loved the feeling of being on a campus.  Seeing everyone walk around, being able to choose my classes.  It shined much brighter than high school.

As we walked out of the lecture, it was impossible to miss how touchy William and Rick were being.  I nudged Mark lightly, pointing to the pair walking just ahead of us.  

"Think we should leave them alone?" I asked, a conspiratorial smile passing across my lips.  It was my turn to try and play matchmaker.

Mark nodded.  The two of us quietly split off, and I sent William a quick text, not wanting to disturb the moment.  Just from a quick glance, though, I figured it might be a while before they noticed we were gone.

Mark held my hand as we traversed the campus.  Hanging out with him without the threat of imminent danger was just what I needed.  We spent a good portion of the afternoon collecting food from different food stands and setting up our own 'picnic' in the middle of the campus.  I allowed him to feed me a spoonful of ice cream, which felt straight out of a movie, and we sat and talked and laughed like we were normal people going to normal school.  

"What do you think?" I asked as the conversation fell into a lull.  The two of us sat underneath a small tree, the sound of the leaves rustling serving as a tranquil background noise.

"I really like it," Mark replied, his eyes scanning the campus.  Students walked around excitedly, chattering and laughing away.   "I could see myself here.  With you, even, if you want to."