006

"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥"
𝑁𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑟 25, 2022
•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•
ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢs: 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘶𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧-𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘮 𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘩𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

JJ had picked up the phone immediately when she saw Charlotte on her caller ID, disregarding the fact that it was almost midnight.

"Hey hun, is everything okay?"

"JJ, can we talk?" Charlotte timidly asks.

"Of course, can't sleep?"

"No. I haven't been sleeping very good lately." Charlotte adds sadly.

"Why not?" JJ asks, hoping to get the girl to start opening up.

"I've been having nightmares again." Charlotte feels her voice quiver, but swallows the lump in her throat.

"When did they start?"

"A few months ago. Not long after I moved into college." Charlotte sighs.

"Does your mom know?" JJ wonders.

"No, she doesn't know much." Charlotte finally lets a stray tear fall from her eyes.

"Why haven't you told her? You know she would do anything to help you."

A pause. JJ hears sniffles on the other end of the phone.

"Char, are you okay? Talk to me."

"I just-," Charlotte pauses to take a breath through the crying. "I don't know how to talk to her. It's so much worse than just the nightmares. I don't even want to go back to school."

Charlottes sobs grow louder but she tries to mask them in fear of waking Emily down the hall.

"Oh sweetheart. You need to talk to her. Even if you don't think you have the right words. You're supposed to fly back out in a few days, and you don't want to prolong your anxiety any more. And you have all of us, you don't have to do this alone."

"Thank you Jayje." Charlotte sniffles, wiping her remaining tears.

"Of course. You know I love you, right?"

"I love you too." Charlotte smiles.

"And your mom loves you more than anything in this world. Why don't you get some sleep and talk to her first thing in the morning?"

"Okay. And I'm sorry, I know it's late." Charlotte says guiltily.

"Don't ever worry about that, or apologize. Any time of day, I'm here. You can always call me."

Another pause, this time of comfort.

"Get some sleep Char, I'll talk to you in the morning."

"Goodnight Jayje."

"Goodnight."

Charlotte placed her phone on the nightstand once again, her eyes grazing over the same picture frame as a few nights before.

She smiles softly, standing from her bed to walk out in the hallway, turning off her bedroom light in the process.

She finds herself walking into Emily's room, quietly sliding into her bed. Her mom's presence is enough for Charlotte to fall asleep as Emily knowingly turns her body to stroke her daughter's hair.