Farewell

"Sherlock... I'm.."

The world froze, everything but Sherlock and John standing still.

"I'd love to be you're husband.." He said slowly, studying Sherlock's face.

"But.."

Sherlock's muscles tightened, betrayal and worry etched on his face.

"I have to go to America for a little while..."

He could almost hear Sherlock's heart break, and he could feel his own shatter into millions of pieces when Sherlock stood slowly and put the ring back.

"Why did you tell me sooner?!" He shouted, tears forming in his eyes, but he didn't dare to let them escape.

"I was! I didn't know you were going to propose." John replied, his voice cracking at the end.

Everyone's eyes were on them now, watching in wonder.

"What else did you expect, John? I love you!" Sherlock yelled, turning his back from John and leaving.

John's mouth opened and closed as he hurried after Sherlock, determined to make everything work.

-LATER-

"Sherlock-"

"John, iv'e told you before, go away."

"Sherlock! Please, hear me out!"

"Fine, i'm listening."

John sighed and began talking, hoping Sherlock would leave his room.

"The hospital is making me go out there, Sherlock. Believe me, i'd love to marry you... Just....-"

"Just what? What's so hard to explain."

John pulled a hand through his hair, exhaling loudly.

"I want to marry you, I just can't right now."

Silence.

"How.... How long will you be gone?" Sherlock asked, his voice breaking.

John thought for a moment.

"Almost a year."

"Six months?"

"Yeah.."

"I'm sorry...."

With that, John stood and walked away.

"Why me?!" John shouted to himself, falling onto his bed and yelling into his pillow.

"And of course he decided to propose now." John yelled, feeling his heart break further.

"I wish I didn't have to go.... I wish I could just accept the proposal and live Happily Ever After." He sobbed, taking a deep breath.

One Week Later.

(sorry for the big time skip)

"You promise?" Sherlock said quietly, looking John in the eyes.

"I promise." John replied, smiling softly and reassuringly.

John had promised to Sherlock that he would call, or text, Sherlock everyday, and that he would marry him when he got back, as funny as that sounds.

Sherlock sighed and pulled John into a slow, loving kiss. The last kiss they would share for a while.
Sherlock slowly broke the kiss, exhaling shakily.
"I don't want you to go."
"I don't want to, either." John sighed, hearing the call for his plane.

"I love you, Sherlock."
"I love you too, John."