the daily grind

november 6 2022
julia's pov

"can i get a blueberry muffin and caramel iced coffee?" i know it's awsten by his voice, and by the way he's talking i know he's smiling. "anything else?" i ask "dude literally any coffee, i need caffeine i dont even care anymore." jawn says "everything bagel with cream cheese?" daphne smiles "you're all lucky i love you." i say while turning the ipad that does all the money stuff to the three of them.

everyone i know has all decided it's funny to come in to the daily grind, where i work clearly, on my shifts and just hang out.

awsten pays and i get going on their things, sydney helping me out with the bagel and muffin. sydney's my coworker, she's literally the best.

"thank you, juli." daphne smiles and i nod while handing her their food and drinks over the counter top. i sit down behind the counter on a bar stool that we snatched from the restaurant next door. my phone buzzes in my pocket and it's dad.

brendon

brendon
hey kid, i know you're at work but your moms going into labor. vienna's with pete, i'm sure you'll find someone to stay with- if not you obviously know where everything is in the house. i'll text you when she's out ;)

julia
'when shes out' LMAO, awsten, jawn, and daphne are here so i'll ask awsten if not i'll text ice nine kills spencer

brendon
👍, spencer (ink) already offered up because i knew he'd probably be on the list. ok gotta go, i love you

julia
love you too

i love the way he just says the most ground breaking things so calmly. 'oh yeah your moms giving birth by the way, soooo yeah see ya.' thanks dad!

"awsten." i say and he looks over and i kinda wave him to come over. "what?" he asks "sarah's in labor, can i stay with you? if i can't stay with you i'll go to spencer's." i tell him "oh dude you're coming with me, fuck spencer. i love when you sleep over." he scoffs making me snort "thanks short stack." i smirk "enough." he shakes his head while going back to the table.

i put my phone down on the counter scrolling through instagram "coffee, for my favorite coworker." sydney places a iced coffee in front of me "gracias." i smile. i always throw in some spanish into our conversations.