Prologue- Reclaimed Shadows

A tall, slim man presses his hands against the window. The faint twilight casting his lengthy shadow across the library floor in black folds. It pulses sluggishly with dark energy.

"He will come?" He asks in a steely voice, "You are sure of it?"

Another man, small and sniveling, steps out of the dark corner, "Of course, my Lord."

In an abrupt burst of motion, the tall man slams the short one against the wall, holding him up by his neck.

In a dangerously low voice he hisses, "Pray that you are correct."

The small man nods heavily and opens his mouth to speak "I-"

"Or it is your skin, my good man, which will be hanging on my wall." He smiles wickedly and the small man swallows nervously. The tall one releases him and he slides to the floor, rubbing his neck.

Looking out the window the tall one sighs, "Oh, but the waiting." His eyes glimmer dangerously and fix on one spot. He grins madly, "Come, warrior. It is time to wake up."

----

I wake with a jolt. My mind swimming in and out of oblivion. In the dark I panic, breath heavy, heart pounding. My eyes adjust to the dark and I sit up. I switch on my bedside lamp and rub my eyes, trying to calm my breathing. A light sheen of cold sweat has cemented my shirt to my chest. I chuckle softly and ease myself out of bed. It was only a dream.