🛌 Dix-Sept 🛌

Well, Jaemin still hadn't forgotten about his parents, his dying mother in particular. Getting along with Jeno was making Jaemin become more and more confident that he could possibly ask him to go visit his family. Even if it was just a day, then he'd be glad. He still wanted to come back and be of help. Besides, he considered many of them his friends now.

The two had gone to the library after dinner. Jaemin hoped it would be a perfect opportunity to ask Jeno. All he wanted was one visit to his parents. Just one.

As they both sat by the fireplace, Jaemin worked up the courage. It was easier when he remembered that Jeno was just a human boy around his age, but still, not being able to recall Jeno's human form, didn't help to ease him. Who's to say it's even accurate? Jaemin sighed, in annoyance.

"What's wrong? Not enjoying reading about a man turning into a bug?" Jeno asked with a small laugh.

"No, it's pretty interesting actually. You were right. I thought it was a metaphor, but now it seems like he actually is a bug. I'm sure it's still a metaphor for something, but it's very...interesting."

"That's how I felt when I read it. It's totally absurd, but I like the whole theme of identity."

"I feel like I'm the one having the identity crisis for this dude." Jaemin joked, "If I had suddenly turned into a bug, I wouldn't be thinking of going to work first."

"I think it's sweet in a way. He thinks about work because his family needs money and he's worried he won't be able to provide for them anymore."

"Oh, that's right," Jaemin nodded, "...But, I think it's a little sad that he gets disgusted by himself."

"Well, he's a bug." Jeno shrugged, "I can see where he's coming from."

Jaemin frowned, thinking to himself. Was that Jeno felt about himself? Disgusted? Jaemin could tell he was insecure but he didn't know to what extent. Well, his insecurity was probably one of the reasons he didn't tell Jaemin that he was Lee. Jaemin looked at a drawing on the book of the bug man. It was scary indeed, but he was still himself and so was Jeno.

"Jaemin, I've been wanting to ask you something." Jeno said, putting a hand to his nape.

"What is it? I wanted to ask something too." Jaemin put the book down after marking the page with a random piece of parchment.

"Well, it's kind of embarrassing." Jeno muttered.

"I'll try not to laugh." Jaemin gave him a teasing smile, "But I can't promise."

"It's ridiculous really." Jeno said.

"Now I really want to know."

"Would you..."

Jaemin could tell he was nervous. It must be really important.

"Marry me?"

Jaemin blinked and then started to awkwardly laugh.

"What?" Jaemin said.

"I mean...I like spending time with you...and I like you, so I wanted to ask." Jeno said looking away.

"You're joking right?" Jaemin frowned.

"...No."

"I'm sorry Jeno, but I...can't." Jaemin said. He thought of Dolsoe's proposal. How had he gotten two proposals in such a short amount of time. Why did Jeno want to marry him? It was very strange.

"Why? I have given you gifts, provided for you all these things. I can give you whatever you want."

"It's not about that. I appreciate it, I really do, but I don't need money. Marriage is...exaggerated, don't you think?" Jaemin stood up, wanting to run away. He started thinking about how Dolsoe treated him and felt himself grow nervous.