Chapter Eighteen: The Midsummer Ball

VINNI

Sher is a tomboyish girl slightly shorter than me. Her dark brown hair is cropped unevenly at her shoulders and tipped with gold. She's wearing a dress, but one that I envy. It's sleeveless, with thin black straps, a flowy knee-length skirt and predictably cinched like mine at the waist. She has transclucent tights under that, and simple silver ballet flats. Well, why couldn't Alys put me in something like that? I see now what Lance meant-Alys is all about aesthetics, and none about convenience.

"I hope you're staring at my dress, because I'm straight."

That jerks me back to reality. "Um, yeah. I love your dress... how come you get to wear something like that?"

Sher smirks. "And you're stuck in that? Well, no one's crazy enough to force me to wear an actual gown, so this is my compromise."

"Darn."

Sher laughs. "So, care to tell me which brother you were eavesdropping on just now? I mean, it's pretty obvious."

"What?"

She snaps her fingers. "You know, Louis and Russell? Aka two of the wonders of the fairy wold? So which one was it?"

"Two-what?"

"Come on, Lou or Rus?"

"I'm not answering that, I don't even know you!"

"Well, okay, let's play a game. You ask me one question, I'll answer, and then I'll take a turn. Fair enough?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. We'll play while we walk. You start." She starts off down the hallway, at a slow pace.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Shermaine, call me Sher, I'm eighteen. Who are you?"

"Vinni, I'm sixteen. How do you know the guys?"

"I'm their best friend, I've known Rus since I was born and Lou since he was. How do you know the guys?"

"I met them at the Community."

Sher raises her eyebrows. "That's interesting."

I ignore her. "You're close to them?"

"Jealous already, are we?" She says, but in a good-natured way. "I'm very close to them, Lou in particular, but in case you want to know, I'm not interested in either. Since we're on the topic, here's my question-which one are you closer to?"

"Louis."

She has a a-ha face. "I thought so. Russell's a bit old for you."

"Are you interested in anyone?"

"Yes, he's a fairy. Did you and Louis go on a date?"

"Two," I admit, "well, sort of."

"I bet it was illegal."

"Completely. The second time we both ended up running for our lives."

"How romantic."

"Are the balls fun?"

"Well, it depends. The food's pretty good, but I hate dancing. Did he kiss you first?"

"Well... yeah."

"Louis is so dead after this!" Sher exclaims. "Who knew he'd be that good of a boyfriend?"

"Are you supposed to have a date?"

"Well, fairies usually do, but you're new here, so you don't have to. Although Louis could take you," she shrugs. "Did you kiss him?"

"The second time."