Chapter Forty-One: Murder in the Sky

VERA

Turns out, Keane's car is a legit Ferrari. And apparently, not wholly acquired through legitimate means. "I might have sweet talked the salesperson." Keane admits unabashedly. "But that's ancient history. Just get in."

It also turns out that Keane is a legit insane driver. He could probably break the speedometer if he tried. Once out of the fairy kingdom, he's racing along the highway at speeds that would earn him a billion tickets, using magic every now and then to manoeuvre around less competent drivers. 

"Bad boy with a car to match?" I suggest drily.

He smirks. "You're a lot like Vinni."

"So I've heard." I say. "I saw you and Vinni talking. What about?"

His smirk becomes more pronounced. "Inappropriate things."

"I highly doubt Vinni would listen to inappropriate things."

"I didn't say what kind of inappropriate things."

I roll my eyes, but in the passenger seat-it's one of those cars with a backseat that was really difficult and irritating to climb into-I feel kind of uncomfortable. Yeah, I'm going off to confront the bad guy, yadda yadda. But looking on the more human side of it all, I'm in a car with an eighteen year old guy I don't even know. Yeah. Brilliant. Not the kind of scenario moms would be wild about. Plus, there's also the fact that he's ridiculously hot. You know. Not to sound like a fangirl or anything.

"I have a feeling you wouldn't want me reading your mind right now?"

My whole face grows hot. "You can't, right?"

"No." He grins. "But I do wonder what you're thinking about." His eyebrows rise. "Inappropriate things?" He says suggestively.

"No!"

Keane laughs. "Don't worry. I really can't read your mind. That bracelet, you know. I don't need it, though. Your body language says everything." I choose to stare out the window to avoid eye contact. "I'm extraordinarily good at reading it." He adds, performing a maniacal swerve as he does.

"Brilliant." I watch cars zip by in a blur, hoping he'll never find out what I was thinking at that point.

"Can I guess?"

"No."

"It's a guy, isn't it?"

"No."

"It's me, isn't it?"

I bite my tongue accidentally and glare out the window.

"You tensed up." Keane observes infuriatingly. "It's me, isn't it? I'm not lying, by the way, you really did tense up."

"Haven't you got anything better to focus on?"

"Your cheeks are red."

"So is the traffic light."

"This is more entertaining."

"You're going to crash."

"I can multitask. Come on. Admit it. There's nothing else around here to think about."

"I don't know, maybe Raelynn? Maybe my best friend who is currently with Raelynn?"

Keane smothers a chuckle when he hears that. "Best friend. Right. I forgot. But let's face it, you were thinking about me."

"I was not."

"You know another talent of mine? I can tell when people are lying."

I freeze. "Really?"