Chapter Twenty-Six: Elven Warriors

VINNI

"I hate to burst your bubble, Mel, but... it's nowhere to be found."

"It should be right here."

Mel stops by a gigantic tree, with a trunk so thick we could all link hands and play Ring around the Rosy in one ginormous circle. "We're all tired, the sun is blazing, and the elves have disappeared... can we please stop for a while?" Eliz says. "This tree is nice."

The agreement is unanimous, to Mel's annoyance, but she joins us in collapsing against the tree in the welcome shade. Abby scales it and tucks herself into a bunch of overlapping branches halfway up. I decide to go up too and teleport up.

Soon, without realising it, I drift off to sleep.

Then I'm woken by a yell. I jerk upright with a start, scramble to the edge and find myself staring down with Abby beside me. Deanne is white-faced and clenching her shoulder. The thin, sturdy shaft of an arrow protrudes from between her fingers, which are stained with red. Surrounding my friends are a group of tall willowy strangers, each emanating an aura of beauty and power. Elves.

At the forefront is a slender lady with a bow, poised to shoot. "What are you doing here?" She demands. "How have you found this place?"

Abby gives such an audible gasp that all eyes dart upwards. The arrow shifts as well. "Aunt Janine!"

The arrow slackens. "Abigail?" The lady utters in disbelief.

"Aunt Janine-I can explain." Abby flutters lightly to the ground, cheeks flushed. I touch down a moment later. "We've come to find you-I mean, the elves."

"Apparently." Abby's Aunt Janine says, sweeping her hair aside and revealing a pointed ear. She purses her lips. "How did you find us? The Treaty-"

"We've come from King Aurlan of the Giants." Melbourne explains nervously. "My parents-they built the barrier..."

"My goodness." An elf suddenly says, gripping Janine's shoulder. "Janine. Shaun and Marissa-"

"Are they your parents?" Janine shoots sharply at Mel, who nods. Janine's eyes narrow shrewdly. "I see. A vampire? Yes... a unicorn," she continues, sounding less condescending, "a witch, a ghost, a banshee, centaur, goodness, what mix-"

"Weregonpire. Werewolf, dragon, vampire."

"Right. And-" Jasnne stops to fix her eyes on Deanne. "And you."

"She's on our side, Aunt Janine..." Abby says warily.

"She's a dark creature! Abigail, you should know we don't allow dark magic to taint our realm... a soul reaper, shadow, Abigail, I ask you..."

"Soul reaper?" I whisper to Jess. Isn't De a soulsucker? At least, as far as I know.

"More official, less welcomed term." Jess murmurs to me without her lips moving. "Vinni, you must have covered magical creatures in the Community..."

"Since when did I pay attention during class there?"

"-Janine, she's my friend, and..." Abby still continues to argue with her aunt. "We need to talk to a Seer."

"About Raelynn? We have seen the warning signs, but can find nothing."

"You don't know Rae like we do." I say darkly. "Besides, my sister is in danger, her friends..."

"Does it concern us?"

"Two are dead." I say furiously. "The rest-Shaun, Jon, Kieran-they could be next-"