𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 : last ones out

𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓 : 5.0k

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐏𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 the Sadie Hawkins dance. It may have been in part due to the hot pink curlers Diana insisted she sleep in, but she also felt like someone would have to surgically extract the butterflies that had appeared in her stomach at some point. Butterflies which she didn't even know the source of!

The next morning, she chalked it up to nerves about her very first high school dance. Nobody had ever bothered asking her to one of these functions before and she sure as hell wouldn't attend on her own accord. So, being basically forced to go with Steve seemed to be the only plausible way anyone would see her at a school function. Still, something deep within her rejoiced at the idea of getting dressed up and dancing with a guy like Steve.

A normal night, finally. They had certainly earned it.

Diana made sure Owen kept the curlers in all day, despite all of the strange little pieces sticking out every which way. Law was quick to snap a polaroid of her the moment she stepped out of her bedroom, before quickly informing her that the picture was going in the family photobook as soon as possible.

The rollers stayed in even as Owen helped decorate the house for Hanukkah. As it turns out, Diana was Jewish, too, just like their mother was. Since her passing, the Webb family had strayed from the culture's traditions and holidays. It was Diana's idea to get them back into the spirit, seeing the celebration as a way to honor their mom's life when she was alive. Although he didn't say anything, this seemed to win her some points with Gordon who had come home for winter break. Owen could tell just by how excited he was when Diana pulled out a dreidel she had played with when she was a little girl.

It was dark outside by the time Owen was allowed to unravel her hair from the curlers. Diana tried to help, but there was still quite a bit of complaining as the curlers managed to yank on every single sensitive spot on Owen's scalp. Thankfully, they were able to get them out without tearing out all of her hair. But more importantly, the hair that remained actually looked nice. Pretty, even.

Diana fixed a couple pieces with her curling iron from home (a home that she was rarely at lately) and then doused the masterpiece with copious amounts of hairspray. They were both sent into coughing fits after inhaling the tacky mist, but it was worth it.

When it came to doing Owen's makeup, Diana was more than happy to retreat to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. She knew better than to attempt anything like those crazy, colorful looks girls wore today. That risk was fully in Owen's hands.

And Owen took the challenge in stride, abnormally confident after the look she had created on Eleven the weekend prior. So, she leaned over the sink and got as close to the bathroom mirror as possible, then went in with cheap, blue eyeshadow. She dragged a black eyeliner pencil along the delicate edge of her waterline as she had seen their mother do years ago. Then, she applied some mascara and a little bit too much blush. Finally, Owen swiped cherry chapstick across her lips and called it good.

She stared with intensity at her reflection, trying to decide whether she liked this stranger in the mirror or not. But even under the unwavering scrutiny, Owen felt content and even a little excited. She felt light as air as she disappeared into her bedroom to get dressed. If this is what girls like Tina and Nancy felt like every single day, she could understand how they navigated the world with such ease.

Owen hopped around her bedroom on one foot, desperately trying to pull a pair of fishnet tights into place. Ultimately, she had to sit on the floor to get them on, only realizing this after falling flat on her face. Then, the dress was shimmied up her thighs and zipped it into place. Then, Owen laced up the pair of thrift store Dr. Marten's boots that were just a bit too small for her. But she had campaigned for them to an embarrassing extent after she found them while shopping with Diana, who begrudgingly compromised on them.