Kars

first ever request, icantseebadjokes

No warnings, Kars with a human pet

Out of Breath

"Overdrive...!" The Hamon crashed over the zombies like a tidal wave, leaving collapsing pools of rotted flesh and liquefied bone in its wake. The full moon hung overhead, an indifferent observer, bright enough that you could clearly see your reflection in the blood as it spread across the rough stone.

You looked tired. No, you looked ragged. The effort required to use that last Hamon technique had only been a further drain on your rapidly dwindling stamina, and you had actually felt your power stutter as you struggled to maintain your breathing. If you had to do this for much longer, you'd be completely overwhelmed. All you could do was wait and try to catch your breath, hoping the next wave wouldn't have too many enemies.

"Tired already?"

In the past, you would have jumped at the unexpected voice, but not anymore. Only one person spoke to you at all, these nights. Only one person came to visit you in the desolate prison you'd been confined to. You craned your neck upward, already knowing what you'd see.

The pit-your cage-was massive, thirty feet in radius and over a hundred feet deep, hewn from rock. The sides were smooth, eroded by unnaturally powerful wind, too sheer to scale without the help of Hamon. The very bottom, an area you had become intimately familiar with, boasted a handful of small caves and rock outcroppings to shelter in, though none of it was useful for your repeated escape attempts. Nothing could grow down here. What little soil existed had been poisoned, by the defiled flesh of the undead you destroyed nightly, forcing you to rest entirely in the mercy of your torturer.

Kars lounged at the edge of the pit. You were only human, and couldn't see very well in the dark and at that distance, but you were certain he had the smile he always wore when he saw you: indulgent, but casually sadistic all the same. He wasn't wearing his scarf this time; the cold moonlight gleamed off his flowing hair as it drifted in the night breeze, contrasting against the tanned skin you longed to cut apart more than anything in the world. Pristine, beautiful, powerful...he was the total opposite of how you felt now.

He cut a perfect target, silhouetted against the black sky. In spite of the futility of it all-you couldn't hope to lay a hand on Kars when you were fresh and ready for the battle, how would you possibly do it now?-you felt yourself snatch a flake of stone off the ground, spinning it rapidly in one hand as you channeled the absolute last of your energy into it. In response, the vampire simply held a cloth bag aloft, dangling it teasingly over the edge towards you.

"How is that new technique coming along? I forget what you called it...you've gotten more efficient if you can use it after that fight." his voice echoed off the stone, giving the illusion that it was coming from everywhere at once. Inescapable. You didn't reply, just took aim.