But whatever i did for you last year i cannot do again

Summary:
Techno was not a violent man.

Techno is not a violent person; despite the jabs his brother makes and the wary stares he gets from strangers on campus.

He competes in fencing for fucks sake, a sport designed around control and precision. He's never seen anyone get seriously hurt while competing, and it isn't like he carries around his sabre wherever he goes.

Techno had never been a violent person, despite his sometimes gruff words and need to protect those around him. He valued other things above that, such as strategy, analysis, planning. He never used violence as a means to achieve his end.

But right now?

Right now Techno was feeling pretty fucking violent.

Everything had happened so quickly. One second he was rummaging around what he assumed to be Tommy's bedroom, the walls and floor bare, no hint of the large personality the boy held. Next thing he knows Phil is shouting that Dream was back before rushing into the same room as him, slamming the door behind him.

They had sat in silence as Dream entered the home, calling out to Tommy and getting upset at the mess Phil and him made. Phil had grabbed his hand, squeezing it tightly as they pressed closer to the door, trying to hear the muffled conversation within.

They couldn't hear much of anything, other than the mumblings of angry words that sometimes raised and sometimes fell. Dream and Tommy's voice was soon accompanied by Wilbur's and Techno cringed, heart pounding inside his chest. His brother was so stupid sometimes. But he couldn't blame him.

He wanted to rush in and help, to know what was going on, to not just stand here useless while his brothers faced a monster alone.

But Tommy told them to stay put, and Techno had agreed to listen to him.

And then the screaming started.

Phil and him wasted no time ripping the door open and racing towards the study room, feet pounding against the wood as they burst into the room.

He noticed many things at first, the smell of burning hair, Tommy writhing on the ground, Wilbur holding him tightly.

But he only focused on one thing. Dream looming over them, head thrown back as he laughed.

And Techno saw red.

He had promised to protect Tommy, to keep him safe from whatever hurt him. And yet the boy he loved was sprawled on the floor, a ruined seals pelt in his grip and ugly fresh burns trailing up his hands and arms.

And so Techno ran forwards, grabbed Dream as hard as he could, and slammed him against the wall.

Everything was a blur from there, yelling and arguments, the madman switching from soft begging to harsh jabs. They were talking about things Techno didn't understand, he was clearly missing a large part of the story here.

Human trafficking, pelts, money, and a word that lit up the back of his brain with recognition he didn't want to address quite yet.

He made a mistake, something he so rarely did. He had turned to face Tommy, watching with pride as the boy stood on shaking legs to face his monster of a guardian, snarling with words that probably meant more than Techno knew.

He was so focused on the blooming pride in his chest that he didn't anticipate Dream's hand reaching up, grabbing his head and slamming it as hard as he could into the wall.

Techno crumpled to the floor as fireworks of pain were set off, his head ringing as he raised up a hand to his forehead, dabbing at the dots of blood forming from a small cut. Fucking asshole.