Chapter 2: Legacies

Elenor

After that, the sky went dark. Then I looked at the clock. It was past ten to 10:00 PM. Then I heard footsteps approaching. My parents were back. The front door swung open and there were my parents, their luggage, and souvenirs in hand. They were finally home.

I greeted them because they have been away from home for almost a month, and while they showered and unpacked their pieces of luggage, pulling out some clothes to get into the laundry machine. I waited for them to get comfortable, and wanted to tell them everything that has happened to me while they were gone and was going to ask my parents about our family history, they were asleep on the sofa while they started to tell me their traveling stories. Well, guess I'll talk to them in the morning.

My body was out of energy because of all the digging and searching around the house, anyway. So I got up, put a large blanket over the sofa for my parents, and went upstairs to my room, and I closed my eyes, and I was asleep before I know it.

Kyle

Hours later, my parents were home. They were already in their beds, sleeping. I'm guessing they came home late when I was asleep. I was eating breakfast alone, and today was Monday morning, 8:00 AM. which means I get to ask them about our family history when my parents woke up. But because they arrived home early, like 4:00 a.m. or later, I decided to let them rest. Maybe we can talk this through at lunchtime. As time went by, and now we were out at a restaurant for lunch because they did not want to prepare for it. We're one of the loyal customers here, and I used to take out the food whenever my parents were away from here, with my friends to hold a birthday party, or just to hang out. Anyway, this is my chance.

After we got home, I took mom and dad into the living room and told them I had something to ask about our family history. And while they were waiting, I went back to my room and brought the book with me to show them that I knew about our bloodline, etc. At first, my parents thought it was some kind of research for an upcoming school project or something, but when they saw the book held in my hand, their faces went cold. I mean, hard? I haven't seen my parents freeze in my entire life. This has never happened before.

Suddenly there was a moment of silence between my parents and me. Someone has to break the ice, doesn't it? So I asked mom and dad how much and how well they knew about our family's history and the Dream Walker business. It was my dad who started speaking.

He said, "I thought you would ask us about this one day. There's only our family, the Fuchs, and the Eichel who have inherited the legacy of Dream Walker on this earth. There used to be more, but they all got married to different houses, and some died of disease. And about us... Yes, we got an offer, and it was the same for your grandfather and your great-grandmother. The 'Dream Walker' business was valid until your great-grandfather. After that incident in the 1900s, the next and first person to re-accept that position was your great-grandmother. But he went missing when he was 19, leaving your grandfather alone. Your grandfather declined the seat because he felt abandoned by his mother—our great-grandmother, I mean. Let's get back to the story about me and your mom, all right? We were the last descendants before we had you, and by the time you were born, we decided not to be involved with it. You see, your grandfather spent his whole life searching for and yearning for your great-grandmother to come home someday. We couldn't risk the danger—you were just a baby when we got the offer. And the Eichel's were in the same situation as us. We heard about their great-grandfather going missing the same day that our great-grandfather was gone, and his daughter, their grandmother, went through the same pain as our grandfather. Furthermore, the Eichel's were expecting a child soon; I believe that child was born in December; she will be 16 now, just like you. Sadly, the two families stopped contacting each other because we had you."

I replied, "Okay." Then what do you know about this book? I've read almost every page. But there is something related to the mirror in our living room, which is above the furnace. "What does it have to do with all this?"

My father answered, "Centuries have passed since the medieval age. So the locals believe it's all a local legend, a myth. about this house and the museum, too. They think it'll be appealing to the customers and tourists who come to visit here in spring, summer, and autumn. Yes, I know I've been beating around the bush. Due to the reasons I stated above, there are really few people who know about this. It seems that the mirror is kind of a doorway into Dream Walker's headquarters. Regrettably, we do not know whether the saying is true or false, nor do we know whether the mirror works. It's been a long time, son. But I assure you, the relic you are looking for is here, in our house. We've been saving it for ages to give this to you. It was your grandfather's will to give this to you when you turn 19. Since you already know about all this, we'll just give it to you now. Just a moment."

Then my father got to his feet and went to his study. I was left with my mom. Mom asked me why I suddenly got interested in our family's history. I just glossed over that it was for an upcoming school project. And I also added that I did not expect to hear all of this. My father's footsteps were closing by. He was coming back. I smiled awkwardly at her, feeling guilty inside. When I looked up from the flower-stitched embroidery on our carpet, dad was there, holding a box. He gave it to me, told me to keep it, and said it was time for supper. I didn't realize it was already time for dinner. I thanked him and went upstairs to leave the necklace in my room. And now I'm thinking about Elenor, wondering if she's hearing the same story as mine. I should call back tomorrow.

Elenor

It's 10 o'clock in the morning, and today's already Tuesday. At breakfast my parents said they are not going to leave the town for couple weeks, for they have travelled enough. Now's 1:00 PM, Tuesday, and here I am, on the living room sofa. My parents talked almost the whole part of their traveling stories, so I suppose it's my turn to speak. And they seemed tired, too. I brought the book with me before coming down to the living room, to show them as proof that I know much more than my parents expected. They were talking to each other, smiling and somehow their expression changed when I put the book on the table.

Mom and dad froze. I opened my mouth to melt them with my next words: "Yes, I know about what are family is-was-okay? Tell me something I don't know. What'd I miss?"

Thereafter I was told that my family's bloodline existed from the medieval age from today and is one of the last Dream Walker clans that have survived all these years. There wasn't any persecution or hunting, like the witches or warlocks, or sorcerors, but our bloodline faded century after century. It seems my great-grandfather was the last to follow our family's legacy, but it was over when he went missing. And her daughter-our grandmother-was left alone in the house without his father, and they were devastated. Even my parents have never seen him come back home to this day. Then they also got an offer but... they just had me, meaning they had no other choice. Not to mention the thing about the mirror hanging on our living room wall. Just like ghosts and witches' stories, nowadays become a myth. They said with the ring and the necklace of the two families, they could enter the headquarter hidden inside the mirror. But whether that is a fact or not, they weren't so sure. Because they have not accepted the offer, they haven't been there. Therefore my grandmother kept all of this a secret and passed down the ring to my dad, then me, generation after generation.

Now I am thinking, I should call Kyle, and let's do this, let's find this headquarter of ours.